Quantcast

Read Something, Drink Too Much, Argue About It

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We have a "what are you reading" thread but it is basically a list with little discussion. I thought desperate times may need a flashy new title to get more people interested.

For reasons other than Covid, I have been socially isolated for most of the year and have consumed a large number of books. Feel better off for it. With most of us locked down, reading is a good alternative to outside life if you are capable. Propose a book, let's read it, then discuss like knuckle dragging dirt addicts. Audio Versions acceptable.

I propose A.B. Guthrie's "The Big Sky". Entertaining historical novel. I think it can help explain a lot of modern American culture and attitudes.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ordered the audio cd.....it gets here when it gets here.....

I have been doing Audible, buy something and often you can check it back out for credit. I did audio on this one during drives to Utah. Either way, beyond the actual writing, done very well. Hardcover of the 4th and last story of the series arrived today.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I have been doing Audible, buy something and often you can check it back out for credit. I did audio on this one during drives to Utah. Either way, beyond the actual writing, done very well. Hardcover of the 4th and last story of the series arrived today.
i love audiobooks....replaced music for roadtrips.

and if i find a author....i binge listen.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I think you may enjoy this one, @Westy

The author is my neighbor and a good friend, a super smart guy yet very nice and humble as well. We meet and chat a lot as he lives two houses down the street and walks his two large dogs in the hood all the time. Disclaimer: I have not finished the book yet.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We have a "what are you reading" thread but it is basically a list with little discussion. I thought desperate times may need a flashy new title to get more people interested.

For reasons other than Covid, I have been socially isolated for most of the year and have consumed a large number of books. Feel better off for it. With most of us locked down, reading is a good alternative to outside life if you are capable. Propose a book, let's read it, then discuss like knuckle dragging dirt addicts. Audio Versions acceptable.

I propose A.B. Guthrie's "The Big Sky". Entertaining historical novel. I think it can help explain a lot of modern American culture and attitudes.
Is this going to be all Cormac McCarthy, depressing? I don't know if I can handle that kind of existential dread right now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is this going to be all Cormac McCarthy, depressing? I don't know if I can handle that kind of existential dread right now.
I kind of think McCarthy copied a lot of Guthrie. Not going to say but is a cheerful story, but it doesn't have the soul chilling darkness, that is all McCarthy.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Louis L'amour published over 100 books but I would guess theres only 10 plot lines. I've got rubbermaids full of his paperbacks. The fur trapper era is fun to read about. The Americans who roamed the west during that time mostly ran hard! I recently ordered a frontier book - Atomic Frontier Days : Hanford and the American West by Bruce William Hevly and John M. Findlay. Should be here next week!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Louis L'amour published over 100 books but I would guess theres only 10 plot lines. I've got rubbermaids full of his paperbacks. The fur trapper era is fun to read about. The Americans who roamed the west during that time mostly ran hard! I recently ordered a frontier book - Atomic Frontier Days : Hanford and the American West by Bruce William Hevly and John M. Findlay. Should be here next week!

Hmm, will check it out.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I can't remember the last time I read anything besides County Emergency medical protocols, EMS continuing education materials, or pandemic response updates and protocols. I have a feeling that is going to be my life for the next year or so

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
The Haunted Mesa

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The Haunted Mesa
Yeah thats a good one - one of his last published novels. More sci-fi/western than his more traditional novels like the Sacketts. I should go through my bins and see how many copies of that I have. There was a time when I was hunting bulk lots of Louie and if they were under $1 per novel I was buying them up.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@Westy .....this showed up quicker than i thought....going to load it into the wagon tomorrow and maybe drive a bit of the blueridge parkway...

20200402_153620.jpg

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I drive a lot, 40 minutes each way to work. I live close to where I grew up and it’s a family business. I’ve been doing the drive for 20 years myself. It gets boring so I buy audio books, I buy physical cds though. Just like owning them in real life plus I can give them away to my friend. I like most everything that isn’t depressing. Been into Clive cussler stuff, it’s an easy listen. Just finished Stephen Kings “cell” it was ok but was just a short version of the stand.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just read Chaos: Charles Manson, The CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixtie, by Tom O'Neill. Basically O'Neill had a magazine assignment for the 30th anniversary of the murders, in 1999, started researching, and found so much wild shit that he just kept going and only published the book last year. He doesn't – to his credit, I think – come to any satisfying conclusion that ties everything in a neat bow; doing so would take too much wild speculation and conspiracy mongering, but he offers up a remarkably convincing, well researched case that the official narrative isn't right either. Despite the lack of real conclusion, it's a very interesting read, and I enjoyed it greatly.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
not true

i might actually have to get reading glasses or cheaters and read his suggestion....the guy doing the audiobook is not cutting it...
Oh... Not that they aren't great reads. Westy and I actually have very similar tastes. All I'm saying is that if you want to feel great about life afterwards, they aren't the books to read. Especially McCarthy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oh... Not that they aren't great reads. Westy and I actually have very similar tastes. All I'm saying is that if you want to feel great about life afterwards, they aren't the books to read. Especially McCarthy.

In some ways they make me feel better as one realizes how easy they have it. I don't behave a homicidal maniac trying bro kill me and I don't live in a post apocalyptic world.

Yet.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i do not read life affirming/feel good shit....unless it involves a dog or animal...

hate feel good news stories because of the velveeta levels of cheesieness involved....

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Seems I have come into another couple hundred Louis L'Amour paperbacks. I can sort through them and see which novel I have the most copies of. Anyone want to have a Louis paperback club? :) haha