Quantcast

Read this if you plan on attending any Canada or Quebec Cups this Year

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
I know that there are usually a few riders from the states that come up to race the Canada and Quebec Cups each year. There are some new armour requirements for all races held in the Province of Quebec (Bromont, Tremblant, Ste-Anne).

The big point is the 5th bullet. They now require back protection.

Dear commissaire,
In an effort to inform all mountain bike advocates and actors about the new protection rules for DH riders, I hereby invite you to take note of the following, taken from FQSC’S safety rules and Cycling Guide 2011.
During training or competition, the DH pilot will have to abide the following for its own protection:
  • Lycra suits are restricted
  • Obligation to wear fullface helmet homologated by the following norms: CAN/CSA-D113.2-FM89 or ASTM F1952-00. Open face helmets are restricted
  • Unbreakable glasses required
  • Full-finger gloves required
  • Knee and elbow protection and dorsal protection required.

In addition, FQSC strongly recommends the following:
  • Neck protection (such as Leatt Brace or equivalent)
  • Long sleeved pants, made of ripstop material including knee and shin protection, or shorts made of same material coupled with shinpads
  • Long-sleeved shirt

Thank you for your diligence,
Source: FQSC

Last edited:

thom9719

Turbo Monkey
Jul 25, 2005
In the Northwest.
Since there is no formal definition (or any kind of industry standard), I can define "protection" to mean a layer of anything separating my skin from the ground in the even of a crash. Therefore dorsal protection is my jersey. Elbow protection is also a jersey and 99% of riders already wear knee pads.

-KT

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
This could get interesting at the world cup...
I know in previous years they had some strict rules such as the "no skin can show" rule. They enforced this very well. they sent me down the lift because i was wearing shorts and my shins were showing. they made me wear long socks to cover up. But when it came to the world cup later that year they seemed to look the other way. this rule was not enforced so maybe the new ones wont either.

side note. can anyone point me to a quebec/canada cup schedule

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Since there is no formal definition (or any kind of industry standard), I can define "protection" to mean a layer of anything separating my skin from the ground in the even of a crash. Therefore dorsal protection is my jersey. Elbow protection is also a jersey and 99% of riders already wear knee pads.

-KT
Im not sure that will go. I remember some riders in France using ducktape protectors ;)

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I know in previous years they had some strict rules such as the "no skin can show" rule. They enforced this very well. they sent me down the lift because i was wearing shorts and my shins were showing. they made me wear long socks to cover up. But when it came to the world cup later that year they seemed to look the other way. this rule was not enforced so maybe the new ones wont either.

http://www.canadian-cycling.com/disciplines/?q=mountain/events/calendar-of-events

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008

http://www.canadian-cycling.com/disciplines/?q=mountain/events/calendar-of-events