Quantcast

Reading data dvds?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Hi monkies, any ideas why my DVD drive is not reading discs that have a bunch of music burned onto them? It's working fine in another computer. This DVD drive is reading movies just fine to play them or burn copies of them, but when I put a DVD in with music on it (mp3's etc) it reads off in my computer as a CD drive and won't read the disc? It's a new system btw, first time I tried to do this. What this disc is, is a massive amount of music that someone gave me.

gg

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've never had a reason to burn many discs so I can't say I've had any experiance like yours, but I recall there being some problem when a disc is burned with certain software on certain drives, they can only be read by the same drive, or a drive with the same chipset/firmware. Maybe do a google search for "end session dvd burner" or something like that, it seems like I read something years ago that had something to do with the software not telling the burner to finish burning the disc, like if you hadn't filled the disc and wanted to add more later.

If I had to guess, I'd say there isn't anything wrong with your computer, it's probably the way the disc was recorded.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
the disc reads fine on other computers, just not on this one. That's why I think its a software/setting problem on my computer, and not a disc problem.