Quantcast

REAL Demo 8 weight?

kidwoo

Celebrating No-Pants Day
Aug 25, 2003
22,531
2,209
In my pants
My buddy traded some wheels with me from his demo 8. Mine were lighter but still pretty stout.....32 spokes instead of 36 and a hugi hub instead of the specialized stout hubs.

He has dh minions on there as well and his bike is 40lbs.
 

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
2,435
0
Los Osos
Hey what kind of shocks have you guys been using? The Manitou is really plush, but I hear they blow out quick, and I kinda want a back up. Thanks!
 

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
700
3
Richmond, VA
i don't really like my manitou. I think its the spv. i run it at 50 psi 24/7 because i just hate the platform. I plan on changing it out for a dhx this winter. its all about the preference though.
 

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
135
0
ya thats crazy how light the new demo 8 with be, but it has light parts compared to the 05 model, X.0 carbon short cage derr., 40, dhx,juicy 7's, holzefellers, but dought it 40, last years came with ti spring 06 doesn't, I changed some parts on mine not just tires, dhx is sick full season of racing, 2 months in whistler and still butter, with no leaks, or anything mechanical wrong, spv sucks heres mine
 

Attachments

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
1,213
0
Pac NW
One of the guys over on MTBR claims that he has it down to around 38.5...DHX, TI spring and tubeless. Pretty nice weight for a race bike.
 

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
1,213
0
Pac NW
Bicyclist said:
Especially for such a burly, stiff race bike.
No doubt...light, still and can take some pretty serious abuse. I'm still suprised that they don't have a thru axle option at least for the D8 though.
 

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
2,435
0
Los Osos
Monkeybidnezz said:
No doubt...light, still and can take some pretty serious abuse. I'm still suprised that they don't have a thru axle option at least for the D8 though.
E-speculation: with the uber short chainstays of the D8, a thru axle wouldn't make a noticeable difference. The D8 is really stiff as it is, even on a high speed run, like the Snowmass DH course, I couldn't feel any real flex. I'll bet putting a true thru axle on it would break things pretty fast. Too much stiffness in one area will just transfer the force onto something else. Then that other thing breaks. Like a chainstay, or a weld. The D9 has the through axle and it's a lot beefier. The D8 comes with a bolt on rear wheel though, which is kinda like a thru axle. Damn, I wish that bolt on was a quick release. After riding Whistler for a week with a quick release XT hub with a new X321 rim, I had zero probs. Quick release=happy. No hoping that someone has a Crescent or 15mm wrench when you forget yours...
 

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
15,922
8
Over your shoulder whispering
SPrider said:
.... but doubt it is 40.5lbs, last years came with ti spring 06 doesn't, .....
well considering the person who gave that information is the guy specing the parts that went on it, I'm inclined to believe him. His personal Demo 8 last year was at 37lbs.
 

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
6,257
7
Reno 911
Bicyclist said:
Nice bike! I just got my Demo yesterday :heart:. I should have pics up soon!
So Mark, did you get the Fox fork or the RS Boxxer WC?
 

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
1,213
0
Pac NW
bikenweed said:
E-speculation: with the uber short chainstays of the D8, a thru axle wouldn't make a noticeable difference. The D8 is really stiff as it is, even on a high speed run, like the Snowmass DH course, I couldn't feel any real flex. I'll bet putting a true thru axle on it would break things pretty fast. Too much stiffness in one area will just transfer the force onto something else. Then that other thing breaks. Like a chainstay, or a weld. The D9 has the through axle and it's a lot beefier. The D8 comes with a bolt on rear wheel though, which is kinda like a thru axle. Damn, I wish that bolt on was a quick release. After riding Whistler for a week with a quick release XT hub with a new X321 rim, I had zero probs. Quick release=happy. No hoping that someone has a Crescent or 15mm wrench when you forget yours...
I would like a thru axle because of the security, more than the stiffness. Yes it is a pain in the arse to take off, but I'm not 100% confident in qr wheels. I've had a qr wheel slip out before on a dh run and it sucked. The thru axle would prevent that. Just imagine hucking way up just to have the wheel slip out...not a pretty sight.
 

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
15,922
8
Over your shoulder whispering
Monkeybidnezz said:
I would like a thru axle because of the security, more than the stiffness. Yes it is a pain in the arse to take off, but I'm not 100% confident in qr wheels. I've had a qr wheel slip out before on a dh run and it sucked. The thru axle would prevent that. Just imagine hucking way up just to have the wheel slip out...not a pretty sight.
imagine doing a 60 foot step down gap jump while pulling a Suicide No Hander? Oh wait...Strait did it on that bike and has been clocking World Cup Top 20's on it too.
Our team ran DHR's with QR in '02 and never an issue.
 

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
135
0
that will be sick then if it is 40.5 for a stock bike, the qr is sick for that bike it is so stiff, I go a 10mill conversion kit for my dt 240s hub to run a a 10 mill bolt on axle to make it stiffer and stronger since I was running a crosscountry axle that wasn't to strong for dh.
 

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
4,104
25
Pa. / North Jersey
37 lbs. for a Demo 8???

What is the spec sheet for that build????

I've got a 888RC on mine right now, and with tubeless plus a DHX w/ Ti coil, and Middleburns, I've calculated something in the neighborhood of 42.22 lbs.

If I had an 05' Boxxer WC on it - that would shave .5 lbs. off of it... but 37!?!... Wow. Maybe my scale is off. Hmmmmm...

Actually I too am going with a T/A for next year. My current rear hub is a DT Hugi FR, with a Hope Steel skewer, but I just like the idea of a solid axle in there. Probably gonna get a Hadley w/ the regular 36pt. engagement...

Question though:
For T/A's (Through Axle) does anyone know if you can get washers that have one knurled side like the compression washers on QR skewers???
 

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
2,435
0
Los Osos
I don't believe anything under 40lbs.

"Hey Early, how big was that fish ya caught last Thursdee down at the hole?"
"Oh, I recken about 27 inches, four pounds or so."
"Huh, coulda sworn it was about 24 inches, three pounds."
 

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
10,157
1
SB
Zark said:
So Mark, did you get the Fox fork or the RS Boxxer WC?
I'm riding the fork it came with (05 Boxxer Ride) right now and I'm going to upgrade to a Fox 40RC2 soon. I don't really like the boxxer's stiction right now, and it's John's bike, so you know the fork is broken in. :D
 

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
395
0
Santa Barbara, CA
not 30k, zed, 5K ;)

Demo 8 II is listed as $4900:
# Externally adjustable Fox 40 RC2 fork, 200mm travel, external rebound, hi/low speed compression adjustment, 20mm thru axle
# Lighter Avid Juicy 7, hydraulic disc brakes with 8" Polygon rotors
# Lighter SRAM X.0 carbon, micro cage rear derailleur and SRAM X-9 Trigger shifter
# Lighter Truvativ Howitzer Team crankset
# Stronger Mavic EX721, 26", 36 hole

....or save your pennies for the mere $2800 for the frame!
 

Lanky

Chimp
Feb 8, 2005
63
0
Ma
I'm just hoping under 43 for my build.

boxxer team
DT rims
DT double butted spokes
profile cranks with ti spindle
ea70 bar
sic intergrated stem
kenda tires
shimano xt rear hub
e-13 lg1 guide

PS I know i can make it light but parts were selected based on manything weight was one of the last factors.
 

Kram

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
49
0
New Zealand
05 Demo 8 - 41.5lbs exact

888
SPV 4 way with ti spring
EX823 (05 rims)
Middleburn cranks
Avid J7
Gamut guide
Spec Pro tires 2.4"
With Maxxis tyres it would be 42.5lb

40lb would be possible say with a new 06 Boxxer and a different rear shock but I think under 40 would be stretching it.
 
Aug 30, 2005
154
0
San Diego
Bicyclist said:
I'm riding the fork it came with (05 Boxxer Ride) right now and I'm going to upgrade to a Fox 40RC2 soon. I don't really like the boxxer's stiction right now, and it's John's bike, so you know the fork is broken in. :D
i would try dripping a few drops of tri-flow on your seals and maybe even upgrading to some spectro gold or other misc. high grade MX fork oil. half the boxxer bashing wouldn't exist if everyone would do this. i do it b4 every ride but you could probably get away with it every 2 or 3 hard rides.