05 Demo 8 - 41.5lbs exact

SPV 4 way with ti spring
EX823 (05 rims)
Middleburn cranks
Avid J7
Gamut guide
Spec Pro tires 2.4"
With Maxxis tyres it would be 42.5lb

40lb would be possible say with a new 06 Boxxer and a different rear shock but I think under 40 would be stretching it.
With things like stem, carbon bars, thin tube/tubeless, light post, road seat, ect. I think it would be possible to get it under 40.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Bicyclist said:
I'm riding the fork it came with (05 Boxxer Ride) right now and I'm going to upgrade to a Fox 40RC2 soon. I don't really like the boxxer's stiction right now, and it's John's bike, so you know the fork is broken in. :D
Do you mean broken in or just broken? ;) I think you'll really like that fork. I just built up a VPFree with a 40 for my friend Tim. A really impressive fork :thumb:

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
I want to see some spec sheets (mind you, complete spec sheets) on these bikes that claim to be under 40lbs for a Demo8. It just doesn't make sense, especially if the frame weight is 11.5lbs.
Carbon bars, a lighter post and a road seat aren't going to save you 2.5lbs, they might save 1lb at best.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
erikkellison said:
I want to see some spec sheets (mind you, complete spec sheets) on these bikes that claim to be under 40lbs for a Demo8. It just doesn't make sense, especially if the frame weight is 11.5lbs.
Carbon bars, a lighter post and a road seat aren't going to save you 2.5lbs, they might save 1lb at best.
I was wrong about my buddy's weighing 40. It's 39. It's stock except for the wheels. It's the higher end complete. His wheels are 32 hole 721s with straight gauge DT 2.0 spokes, hugi rear hub, hayes front hub (I built them). He has a wtb rear tire, a maxxis 2.7 front and specialized 3.0 tubes (not as thick as dh tubes) but everything else is as it came.

Those worrying about a qr, the bike comes with a bolt on rear hub. I've got the wheels that come with the demo 8 on my jump bike.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
erikkellison said:
Mine is ~39 pounds, definitly under 40.

'05 Demo 8 Pro Frame Medium
Swinger 4-way with ti spring
'05 Dorado DH 180mm
FSA V-Drives with FSA DH Platnium BB
e.13 guidering
Gamut Guide
SRAM x.9 shifters and x.7 RD, hollowpin chain
light sram casette
Thomson x4 stem and Easton EA70 bars
'04 DeeMax tubeless with 2.5 UST Minions
Selle Italia Gay Road Seat on stock post
Avid Juicy 5 brakes

SPrider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
ok my demo is 39.37 to be exact on a digital scale
parts are different from picture that was before this summer,
ea 70 bar, hayes, sram x.9, 12-27 970 cass., 40, dhx w/ti spring, 118team sl bb (makes chain line better and its seems to hold up), holzefelers, gamut p-40, pc-57 chain, thomson post, wtb rocket v stealth seat, king head set, wtb dual duty fr rims, double butted spokes, dt fr 20 mill hub front, dt 240s 10mill conversion rear, crankbros. mallet m, thomson stem, 2 ply 2.5 minions dhf, tubeless stans i think thats all all these parts can hold up and are light no sacrifice for strength.

Kram

Chimp
Oct 5, 2001
New Zealand
With things like stem, carbon bars, thin tube/tubeless, light post, road seat, ect. I think it would be possible to get it under 40.
mine is tubeless, thomson post, 200gm seat (ti rails)
Bars are pretty standard though. Azonics

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Bizutch:
well considering the person who gave that information is the guy specing the parts that went on it, I'm inclined to believe him. His personal Demo 8 last year was at 37lbs.
well you might want to consider the he works for the company and his parts aren't exactly off the shelf stuff anyway.....
...wait a sec - are you talking about Brandon Sloan's ride?

To my knowledge Spesh dosen't do custom tubing for race bikes like say, Turner does with their DHR's...

Or are you talking about the actual parts on the bike?.... someone that works for RaceFace??? Custom cranksets, and the like?

Shed some light on this if you could.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
S.K.C. said:
Bizutch:

To my knowledge Spesh dosen't do custom tubing for race bikes like say, Turner does with their DHR's...

Or are you talking about the actual parts on the bike?.... someone that works for RaceFace??? Custom cranksets, and the like?

2 things and I'm done
1. He sent me a whopping 4 word sentence about his bike...mine is around 37lbs :)
2. That's all I know. :love:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
S.K.C. said:
Bizutch:

Yeah, I would not read too much into that.
He might have it built up with a Fox 36 and trailriding wheels as a play bike at 37 pounds. Who knows?