Quantcast

"real life" helmet test - caution fireworks & shattered glass

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
What utter rubbish. Nice photography, and will get a few hits which I'm sure will keep protec happy and ensures they'll send you more free stuff, but what a load of toss.

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003
Quite possibly one of the best reviews ever. The video was great too.

When it comes down to it, this "test" or "review" did exactly what all other reviews do - show a product, say it worked.

I'm really glad we didnt have to read about "how great the fit was..." or some other useless banter that all amounts to the reviewer not saying anything that will offend the manufacturer.

You should start benchmarking strengths of parts by dropping them off of buildings...

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
What utter rubbish. Nice photography, and will get a few hits which I'm sure will keep protec happy and ensures they'll send you more free stuff, but what a load of toss.
i figured all the references to "test" in quotes made it pretty clear that it wasn't a real test. as stated in the text under the feature link, i had an idea for some photos and needed product to make it happen. i asked pro-tec to help, they helped out and it was fun.

all the product is getting sent back, too, though they are paying for shipping so maybe i'm biased. we just wanted to have some fun, man.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Fun isn't allowed, this is the interrrrrrrrrrrrrnet, and I have been sent to criticise! :)

I appreciate it wasn't a serious "test", but I think that's a shame, I'd like to see some serious tests. As far as I know there's only one source in the world of serious MTB tests, and that's some german magazine that I wouldn't understand even if I knew where to buy it :(

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
to seb: i hear ya for sure. i just find that bikes (and everything that goes with them) are so subjective. tests almost seem worthless, especially when fit, sizing and riding styles are involved. it's weird that something as functional as a mountain bike can almost be taken as art...everyone has their opinion and everyone has a different opinion. that, however, is what makes bikes so sweet!

getting the raw facts and demo'ing a product or trying on a helmet/pads (for example) seems like the only way to get any good input that pertains to you, the consumer.

with that said, i like the idea someone posted about throwing product off a roof to see how strong it is : )

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Fun isn't allowed, this is the interrrrrrrrrrrrrnet, and I have been sent to criticise! :)

I appreciate it wasn't a serious "test", but I think that's a shame, I'd like to see some serious tests. As far as I know there's only one source in the world of serious MTB tests, and that's some german magazine that I wouldn't understand even if I knew where to buy it :(
And how exactly would you suggest they "test" the helmets? Maybe you'd like to volunteer to slam your head into the ground wearing different models? because other than that the only thing to talk about is what color it comes in and how much it weighs.

Good stuff Spomer. i watched some friends do a similar test a few years ago but with 40's taped to each hand. after finishing them both it seemed like a good idea to break the bottles off on an old pro-tec. :huh:

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
Good stuff Spomer. i watched some friends do a similar test a few years ago but with 40's taped to each hand. after finishing them both it seemed like a good idea to break the bottles off on an old pro-tec. :huh:
thanks. there was actually an "edward 40 hands" event at vermont in 06 (or 05). i have pics...maybe that'll go up next. let's just say it was gnarly!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
And how exactly would you suggest they "test" the helmets? Maybe you'd like to volunteer to slam your head into the ground wearing different models? because other than that the only thing to talk about is what color it comes in and how much it weighs.

That's the point of the CPSC/Snell testing.

Their "testing" is just for laughs and I thought it made for a good article.

FYI, there is one particular test which I pay attention to: the Snell B test. They the Snell engineers buy the test helmets randomly, as opposed to testing the submitted samples by helmet manufacturers.

A lot of Specialized helmets are able to pass the Snell B tests.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
i got bombarded w/a stack of waterballoons at the SSWCA (Single Slalom World Championships of America) a while back... needless to say, i'll be investing in a pro tec Full face lid for the next round! ;-)

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Can anyone confirm if that Shovelhead 2 fullface "race" helmet is actually any good? Comparable to a Remedy, worse, better? I have got to say, it doesn't look bad.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Can anyone confirm if that Shovelhead 2 fullface "race" helmet is actually any good? Comparable to a Remedy, worse, better? I have got to say, it doesn't look bad.
It takes beer bottles and water balloons pretty well, I'd pull the trigger

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
The new Shovelhead looks real good, but will we be able to get them anywhere? I first heard of their Auger helmet in 2007. I still can't find it anywhere online and they're almost impossible to find in the shops.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
The new Shovelhead looks real good, but will we be able to get them anywhere? I first heard of their Auger helmet in 2007. I still can't find it anywhere online and they're almost impossible to find in the shops.
i think BTI distributor has them in stock right now, so any shop should be able to grab one if you ask. qbp distributes pro-tec stuff too, but i don't know about availability from them.