Quantcast

Real Pics of the 2009/10 Boxxer

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
People just assume that because it has a fancy name on it's automagically going to be amazing. Fact is, it weighs 1kg more than the current crop of topend downhill forks (over 2 pounds). Add to that equation that the current crop of topend forks work quite well, and do you think that the BOS is going to justify its weight penality? Personally (without even riding the fork) I could quite confidently say I don't think so.

The fork felt smooth and not particularly brilliant otherwise, the shock felt great (but then that's not the fork is it?). So I guess I stand by my opinion, it's hard to argue with the numbers.

The new boxxer I haven't ridden, but given that I'd prefer the old one to the BOS (personally), and given that the new one is lighter, stiffer, and has (at least in theory) some pretty hefty damper improvements to an already solid damper - I think it's safe to say it's going to blow most else out of the water. I'm expecting some first year issues but everything has those... wait and see I guess.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
People just assume that because it has a fancy name on it's automagically going to be amazing.
Yeah, confusing high price with high performance happens too often. I still reckon the Motion Control Boxxer Race is the best value out of the box DH fork I've seen. Most people consider it a stepping stone to a better fork tho.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
It's none of those issues. Pressure at bottom out is minimal, might contribute but definitely not a sole factor. The c-clip orientation has nothing to do with it, because the stanchion breaks away in the middle of the groove rather than on either top or bottom extremity. The issue is definitely that there's minimal thickness there, it's like 0.5mm at a rough guess.

Damping pressure would be the logical cause, but then guys running not much compression damping are doing it too, so I'm suspecting that sometimes you just get one that's a few microns thicker and therefore it lasts longer. Like I said it was 2 years before I did my first one, then the next one happened only a month or two later, and the replacement has been going strong again.
Yeah, if it happens mid way through then obviously its not related to a stress riser and its due to plastic deformation of the material (ie snap! for aluminum). I was going off the picture big ted posted which looks like its mostly around the base of the circlip groove from what i can tell.

I would be a bit worried about the factor of safety if the difference between snapping or lasting is a few microns! This is a good bit of info to know, at least i can check it when i have the fork apart.

Bla bla bla, have you ridden the BOS? I have. Thanks.
Pretty blunt there dude.
I thought that was udi being tactful :biggrin:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have a Boxxer Team and a Lyrik Coil. I have to say I have not been more impressed with the Mission Control over the Motion Control. Its not been worse either, but I think I prefer the Motion Control. Has anyone else noticed the same or different?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've ridden Zoke, Fox & Rock Shox in the past 3 seasons and can say none has made me a faster rider. All rode great and are worlds better than what we were forced to years ago. As much as they ask for all of them, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't pay a penny more for a fork, no matter what they said it can do better.

But oddly enough, I don't feel the same about rear shocks. I had a Double Barrel on my 06 Demo 8, then a DHX 5.0 on my 07 Sunday. I got to ride a buddies DHi last week at Snowshoe equipped with a Double Barrel and was quickly reminded of just how insanely great that shock is!

If BOS could make that big of a difference in a front fork, I'd consider it...but otherwise, nah.