Quantcast

Real Weight of Intense 951 Frameset

noox

Chimp
Nov 20, 2009
Salzburg, Austria
Has anybody weighted a 951 frame (M) with Fox RC4 shock?

I read that the M is 9.5 lbs/4.3 kg.

At Slicklines they have weighted a 951 (L) with Cane Creek and steel spring and came up with 4908 g (10.82 pound). Where comes this big discrepancy? I cannot belive that the Cane Creek and the large frame is 600 g heavier than the medium frame with the RC4.

Does anybody have an accurate weight of the 951 medium frame with RC4 shock?

Thanks!

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Funny thing about frame weights. Everyone says Giants are super heavy. My 2006 Faith with a DHX 4.0 was 11.4 pounds. My 2009 Commencal Supreme DH with a DHX 5.0 was 11.9. Both are large frames.

Calm down about weight, a 42lb DH bike won't slow you down that much and most importantly, the build will last more than one year.

Of the two mentioned above, guess which one I am faster on? Don't buy a bike to save 0.5 lbs on a frame.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Has anybody weighted a 951 frame (M) with Fox RC4 shock?

I read that the M is 9.5 lbs/4.3 kg.

At Slicklines they have weighted a 951 (L) with Cane Creek and steel spring and came up with 4908 g (10.82 pound). Where comes this big discrepancy? I cannot belive that the Cane Creek and the large frame is 600 g heavier than the medium frame with the RC4.

Does anybody have an accurate weight of the 951 medium frame with RC4 shock?

Thanks!
I am pretty sure that is without a shock.

brocelif

Chimp
Oct 28, 2006
To answer your question without an obnoxious opinion, I weighed mine at 10.5 with rc4. However, it is faster than my 35 pound Socom.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Wow this makes me not feel so bad about riding my "heavy" Sinister R9 frame that is completing its 3rd full year of service now. I thought all these new frames were way the hell lighter than they actually are with the shock. The R9 is only 1# heavier (11.5 with steel spring and shock).

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Wow this makes me not feel so bad about riding my "heavy" Sinister R9 frame that is completing its 3rd full year of service now. I thought all these new frames were way the hell lighter than they actually are with the shock. The R9 is only 1# heavier (11.5 with steel spring and shock).
"Light cheap strong, pick 2"

Sounds like you get none of these with Intense? (or the vast majority of "race" bike mfg)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
The Karpiel Disco with a Roco & steel spring is about 10.4lbs, so right in the ballgame.

verticult

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
You won't get any help from the fan boys on this one.

Lighter bikes are faster in all practical conditions. Many current frames are weak, heavy and expensive. A real step backwards.

If you are serious about racing and doing well, you can't ignore the weight of the bike. It is absolutely true that durability "costs" in both $ and weight but you can very easily build a light, durable bike.

F-bomb, seven pounds without shock, durable, stiff and cheaper than the heavy imports.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/

Lighter bikes are faster in all practical conditions. Many current frames are weak, heavy and expensive. A real step backwards.

If you are serious about racing and doing well, you can't ignore the weight of the bike. It is absolutely true that durability "costs" in both $ and weight but you can very easily build a light, durable bike.

F-bomb, seven pounds without shock, durable, stiff and cheaper than the heavy imports.
Calling people fanboys in that post seems kinda bold. Could you kindly enlighten me which frames are both expensive, heavy and weak? Also are there the only factors that make a good downhill frame in your opinion?

adamkg

Chimp
Oct 27, 2007
My Large one: 4940g with CCDB
CCDB with 550 spring: 1180 g
RC4 with 450 spring: 1100g
Frame only (without spares and anything): 3700 g

I think Intense mesure with damper but without spring but .

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
+1.

For serious racing on courses that are offered in the US nowadays, I think that would be THE bike to have. Like a Hattori Hanzō sword of DH bikes. Wicked little bike.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My Large one: 4940g with CCDB
CCDB with 550 spring: 1180 g
RC4 with 450 spring: 1100g
Frame only (without spares and anything): 3700 g

I think Intense mesure with damper but without spring but .
Now thats a great first post... and you have been a member since 07!!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Taken/derived from verified weights on SickLines with the weight of an RC4/steel spring added in, as well as the other posts in this thread:

M6 - 11.25#
2009 V10 - 10.6#
DW DHR - 9.5#
Older DHR - 10.5#
Sunday - 11.3#
1st Gen Glory - 13.4#
Giant Faith - 11.4#
Commencal DH - 11.9#

I'm just going to plug these because I am a Sinister whore:
F-Bomb - 9.4#
R9 - 11.5#

I'm not one to ever give a damn about frame weight as I don't race and I don't have a need to reduce the bike weight by 3-5%, but I still find it interesting, particularly the marketing behind some "lightweight, modern" race frames.

Last edited:

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
When exactly was it that DH racers turned into a bunch of whiny girls wondering "does this frame make me look fat?"

You know whats awesome about the super lightweight race frames? How many beer cans they will make when they fold after one season of use.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
When the courses in the states got flat as hell and had no rocks, that's when. I don't like it either.

adamkg

Chimp
Oct 27, 2007
Kanter: thanks, right time, right question (we got two frames last week and I'm the lucky one who can test is for our magazine and we mesured everything).

Onether thing: the Wet Screams with the highest bb position don't work. They are too high and reach the frame.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Taken/derived from verified weights on SickLines with the weight of an RC4/steel spring added in, as well as the other posts in this thread:

M6 - 11.25#
2009 V10 - 10.6#
DW DHR - 10.9# (Note: This weight was taken from Turners site and had the shock weight added - it states "frame weight" which I assume is without the shock, please correct me if those include the shock)
Older DHR - 12.3#
Sunday - 11.3#
1st Gen Glory - 13.4#
Giant Faith - 11.4#
Commencal DH - 11.9#

I'm just going to plug these because I am a Sinister whore:
F-Bomb - 9.4#
R9 - 11.5#

I'm not one to ever give a damn about frame weight as I don't race and I don't have a need to reduce the bike weight by 3-5%, but I still find it interesting, particularly the marketing behind some "lightweight, modern" race frames.
Wait so you are comparing a 09/10 frame to old dhr/old glory/old faith/sunday(05+) etc?

Especialy that none of those frames are considered or marketed (as you claim) extra light?(Besides v10 but they marketing idea is kinda close to Ellsworth).

If you want to compare weights to so to Mondraker Summum, New Glory, Antidote Lifeline or some other lighter bikes. Also think that all of that frames have linkage driven susp so they should be heavier.

Also since when it became a sinister topic and why we go bananas for weight after a post by a dude who was quite recently showing off a dh bike with XC components (the ones that really mean it won't be durable). Not to mention that for me a company has to do more to prove itself than just to make their bikes light.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
Hacktastic -

Which year model is your weight of the 'older' DHR's referring to?

I've always been under the impression they are quite a light frame?
I'm like 99% sure my Medium 2008 DHR frame weighed 10.7lbs.

My 951 weighs 39lbs with a F40RC2, full saint kit (except hubs), DH wheelset, easton pedals, canadian cockpit, steel spring, and 2.5 minion DHFs. My 08 DHR weighed 39.5 with pretty much the exact same build.

I'm like 99% sure my Medium 2008 DHR frame weighed 10.7lbs.

My 951 weighs 39lbs with a F40RC2, full saint kit (except hubs), DH wheelset, easton pedals, canadian cockpit, steel spring, and 2.5 minion DHFs. My 08 DHR weighed 39.5 with pretty much the exact same build.
That seems more reasonable. Is that including the shock though?

12.3 just seems excessively heavy.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
12.3 is for the pre 07 one. Square tubed. That's why I thought it was a very fair comparison ;)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They were all current frames as of last year, with the exception of the 951 and DHR. Oh and when I say older DHR, I mean the '08 version with the round tubes, not the square tube style. I remember reading they shaved off maybe 2# from the square tube to the round tube frames?

Actually, a fair number of them are marketed as extra light, which is the funny part.

I tried to keep it simplified to larger production frames, except the Sinisters at the bottom just because I felt like it. Mondraker and Antidote aren't really in that category that I'm aware of. Feel free to post up weights though.

I tried to find a weight for a Demo 8 but couldn't. I didn't look real hard though.

Just to keep people happy:

Session 88 - 9.6#
Yeti 303 - 13.9#
Yeti 303R - 11.6#
Izimu - 10.4#
Demo 8 - 11.7# (can't confirm if that's with the shock or without)
Socom - 9.6#

dicey

Chimp

B.S lighter bikes are only faster if the person racing them is faster. Every DHbike i've owned has been a tank, and i have no problem winning:rofl:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I owned an '08 DHR and weighed it at that much when I first got it, and so have other owners. They are 10.5# without the shock.

As much as this would make me appear as a weight weenie, I do not even know what my current DH bike weighs. I'm not about to go out and measure either.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
B.S lighter bikes are only faster if the person racing them is faster. Every DHbike i've owned has been a tank, and i have no problem winning:rofl:
And can you honestly say that you wouldn't be any faster at all with a lighter bike? I know I'd probably see SOME time drop, especially on courses with lots of pedaling.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I thought that was oddly high, and I don't think the PC job and the clearcoat that was on it added THAT much. Mine and the other one measured were size L frames as well. Doubt that adds almost full 2# between those two factors, but maybe.

In my defense, that was almost exactly 11 months ago when I was first building the bike up. I've been wrong before.

I guess by that standard the 2010 DHR would be 9.5# with the shock. Their damn site doesn't specify w/ or w/o shock for the single pivot version or the DW version, so impossible to tell. Will edit it.