Quantcast

Really nice bike rack(truck related)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
During the U.S. Open there was a burgundy colored Ford with a bike rack that was in the bed that held 6 bikes. There was a post at each corner of the bed and then all the posts were connected in a rectangle. Mounted to the rectangles were what looked like Thule "t2"s Since then i have been looking for this rack and cannot find it. the only thing relatively close is the thule exporter 422. *it held the bikes perpendicular to the direction the truck drives. (like 3 T2s in the bed of a truck)

bfrich

Monkey
May 30, 2007
ct
That rack on that ford was custom made for that truck using Thule parts.

Not sure where thay had it made, but I'm seeing them this weekend at Mt Snow and can inquire for you.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
1up current makes the best premium tray rack on the market though their marketing/distribution is pretty rudimentary. I've owned hitch tray racks from Sportworks, Thule, Yakima and the 1up makes them seem like cheap Walmart racks with the very nice design, light weight, and high quality materials. They own the patent on dual arm tray carriers and the only licensee is Raxter.

They are developing a roofrack version of their tray system which would probably work well with the Thule 422 or a makeshift base you could lay in the truckbed:

http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
You could have seen the original Side-Arm from before Thule bought them out. Only time I used one was when I did the Tyax airplane shuttle run in the Chilcotins:pirate2:. after dropping us off on Warner Lake in the high alpine, we would ride to the owners house at the end of the trails. He would then shuttle us back to Tyax Mountain Lodge in his pick-up, and that's the rack he had in there. It looks like a bunch of Side-Arms (the owner said they predated Thule's side arm, and that Thule had just bought the company out) bolted to the truck bed. I'm sure something very similar could be done with Thule's Side Arm and some 2x4's.... though it wouldn't necessarily be cheap...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

Not sure where thay had it made, but I'm seeing them this weekend at Mt Snow and can inquire for you.
what Rich said.

Thule makes contractors racks that go into the four post holes on pickups and i believe they used that as a starting point and just added what seemed like 12 carriers on that truck...( i know it was 6)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

Please do if you do see them, and does anybody know if this will work with anything other than a ford 6.5 bed?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Please do if you do see them, and does anybody know if this will work with anything other than a ford 6.5 bed?
i dont see why it wont.
a 6.5' bed is a 6.5' bed. obviously on the 4' beds you arent going to be able to fit 6 bikes...plus its not like his rack is a off-the-shelf unit

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Im trying to see what he did because i might be interested in trying to get it for a 4 foot bed if its relatively simple. (not welding and CAD related stuff)

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Im trying to see what he did because i might be interested in trying to get it for a 4 foot bed if its relatively simple. (not welding and CAD related stuff)
his email address is on the link I posted. Why don't you contact him direct? I think his phone number might even be on his website somewhere.