Quantcast

really, REALLY, old computer help...NBR

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Ok, so I have a computer from 1983.
It's attached to a very expensive CNC machine so replacement would cost $5k plus.
I need to upgrade the harddrive. Or whatever they used back then for storing information. Something huge like 10megs
Does anyone have any knowledge of a machine this old.
I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd ask.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Go to RE PC in Tukwila, they have hella old computer stuff and should be able to hook you up.

EDIT --

RE-PC Recycled Computers - 1565 6th Ave S, Seattle, 98134 - (206) 623-9151
Re-PC Recycled Computers & Peripherals - 510 Andover Park W, Tukwila, 98188 - (206) 575-8737

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Is that the original drive? If so, that's pretty amazing.

I would take the current drive out and look for some kind of identification on it so that you know what you are looking for.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Hard to find a new drive that is under 40Gb, another problem is with older O/S's you can only format to 4Gb partition, so with a 40Gb drive you will have either a drives D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: ... Etc... or wasted space

Also problem is you likly have to format it for Fat16

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
dfinn said:
Is that the original drive? If so, that's pretty amazing.
Yeah...that is pretty amazing if it is.

I once had about two huge boxes full of 80s compy parts, but they've since been thrown away...I had a mother****ing Bernoulli (sp?) drive...it was great.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
ET_SoCal said:
Hard to find a new drive that is under 40Gb, another problem is with older O/S's you can only format to 4Gb partition, so with a 40Gb drive you will have either a drives D: E: F: G: H: I: J: K: L: ... Etc... or wasted space

Also problem is you likly have to format it for Fat16

I think he's looking at using something older than Fat16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAT16

This is sounding to me like a much bigger project than just a hard drive replacement.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
buildyourown said:
It's attached to a very expensive CNC machine so replacement would cost $5k plus.
I need to upgrade the harddrive. Or whatever they used back then for storing information. Something huge like 10megs
I actually may have a couple for ya...pay for shipping and a case of good beer and I'll get 'em to ya...

Let me look around....

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
buildyourown said:
I'm confused... If it's hooked up to a 'very expensive' CNC machine, why would you need a $5K computer?
If you're using something so old already, you must only be using it for DNC right? Or by 'attached' do you mean part of the machine?
You can probably get a whole new computer set-up for $600 at Dell or something that has an RS-232 out.

I have what I think is a 2GB drive that is brand new...er...NOS from 1998. Looking to offload it so as long as it works for you, let's make a deal.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Qman said:
I'm confused... If it's hooked up to a 'very expensive' CNC machine, why would you need a $5K computer?
If you're using something so old already, you must only be using it for DNC right? Or by 'attached' do you mean part of the machine?
You can probably get a whole new computer set-up for $600 at Dell or something that has an RS-232 out.

I have what I think is a 2GB drive that is brand new...er...NOS from 1998. Looking to offload it so as long as it works for you, let's make a deal.

I'm assuming it's the original drive. The machine has very low hours on it and almost everything is original.
The computer in question IS the control. The problem is that it doesn't have enough storage space for any programs bigger than about 400 lines. That's really really small.
It probably doesn't even have a "hard drive". I was just stabbing in the dark to see if anyone had any knowledge on this subject.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
buildyourown said:
The computer in question IS the control.
Well, that computer may be "built in" in that it's mounted onto the machine in some fashion, but is it really integrated into it (i.e. totally non-replacable unless you want to solder a new motherboard in there)? Might be worth taking a close look at how it's attached to the machine to see if it's actually replacable. Might be a simple serial port connection in there - you never know.