Quantcast

Really Wide DH bars: Who All Makes Them?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Hey Guys, I'm doing some research and would like to know who all is offering really wide DH bars (730-750mm). Any specs you can provide will be greatly appreciated such as dimensions, weight, link to website, price, etc. I have searched and not found any sort of thread containing detailed/organized info on this topic, just some info here-and-there. I'm sure this will be helpful to many of us so post away!

-S

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
the diety bars are soooo nice...super light and the bend is prime...

very for these bars...i just mounted mine up last weekend

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Thanks!

Funny all the 31.8/25.4 arguements there. Althought I have to say, that I finally went to 31.8 on the latest build because the selection in 25.4 is near nill at this point (wanted a wider bar)..kind of sad.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
had the Funn Fullon. just bought the dirty30. the polished finish on the Funn bar kept allowing my locking grips to slip. lame. hoping the deity bar will grip better. anyone wanna buy the fun for cheap? :spam:

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
had the Funn Fullon. just bought the dirty30. the polished finish on the Funn bar kept allowing my locking grips to slip. lame. hoping the deity bar will grip better. anyone wanna buy the fun for cheap? :spam:
:lighten: Quick thought. Maybe just take fine(r) sandpaper, and brush over the bar and the inside of the grip?

lukebikes

Chimp
Dec 30, 2007
bay area
hey if you want wider bars but dont wanna buy new ones. i make bar extentions on my lathe for any bar and can extend to all widths you would like.

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
I had a dream last night: while riding my bike, my 28" bars felt soo narrow. :twitch: 28" is perfect for me though.
I had a weird dream like that last night too. My dream was that my bike was too small for me to ride with clips. But the bike is perfect, and I've ridden it with clips. True story.

the only thing that scares me with really wide DH bars is how companies make them really wide, but also really light for their size... with all the leverage that gets put on them from the outer ends, i'm sketched on snapping them...

FactoryCostcoDH has some ProTaper Evo Carmichael bend bars on his bike, and they feel soo awesome! he cut them to 30" from the 32" that they come standard and they just feel so perfect. they flex but feel super stable, and i know that they would never break.

thing is, these are MX bars, so they are suuuper thick, but they feel really light holding them alone... another thing is i'm not sure exactly what the O.D. of the bars are, but he has them in a 31.8 stem and had to mount them with some shims from cut copper piping...
i'll look it up...

$90 at pretty much any MX store
i'll look up weight too

**edit**
FCDH measured them with digital calipers and the O.D. is 28.5mm... which means you should use 1/16" thick piping to shim them to fit a 31.8 stem... he did this, and the bars have never budged, even after ridiculous hits over the 8 months he's had them on his bike.
we have yet to weigh them, and i cant find a true weight anywhere online... we'll find a postal scale, just give us some time

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
:lighten: Quick thought. Maybe just take fine(r) sandpaper, and brush over the bar and the inside of the grip?
thought about grinding up the lockring a bit. i just wanted another reason to buy the deity's.

i got them out this weekend for the first time and they were AWESOME!!!! i've been dying for bars this wide all my riding-life and didn't know it. yee-haw!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
spooky pterodactyl bars, the original wide bar.
33" wide, 2.75" rise, 8, 9? piece? I used to race XC with them on my Darkside just to confuse people... 10 years ago

Right now I have a pair of the Chromag OSX bars on my singlespeed Darkside... I guess some things don't change, much....

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
Ok, I'm bringing this thread back from the dead. Can anyone give me some REAL feedback on the wide bars? Not the usual "Well Sam Hill/Nathan Rennie/Steve Peat run them so they're good to go" What works for them might not work for me blah blah blah....

I'm running Truvativ Holzfellers, 38mm rise, 28" and after my crash which resulted in the snap crackle and pop of my collarbone, I actually bent the bars.

I've been interested in the wider bars but was waiting for some real world feedback.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I've been on wide bars for a while now and i like them. i was on Funn bars for a bit, but didn't like the fact the polished section of the bar let my grip-locks slip. i switched over to the deity dirty30 and probably won't go back. they are wide, but stiff enough.

i'm 6'1" and 185-ish + gear. i can make smaller bars work, but i like the feel of having a wider grip - is closer to what feels natural for me. it does make it tight to fit between trees sometimes, and it does draw comments. it also takes away some of the ability to "work" the bike, as your arms are more stretched out so your range of pulling up and pushing down is different from what it would be with narrow bars with lesser rise (the dirty 30 is a low-rise). i tend to lean back, hold on, and plow, so this isn't a problem for my hacktastic style.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
after all the research ive done on the dirty thirty and the limited riding i have had, i would definently recommend them! they are light in comparision to the market, the rise to width ratio is great.
there are gravity models of wide bar too, they come in alloy and carbon, also there are the monkey light bars which i think go up to 730. which are carbon and alloy

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Can anyone give me some REAL feedback on the wide bars?
THey are wider than what you have been using. Is that real enough?

What do you want? widths, rises, weights? all the info is available on mfg web sites....You want someone to tell if they are right for you?

BlackAthlete

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
I have a set of 19mm rise Sunline V1's in the 737mm width, 60 shipped firm, brand spanking new, still wrapped in the cardboard sleeve it comes in. PM my black ass if you want them.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
737? how did you get that measurement ?
Two ways he got that measurement: 1) He measured the bar 2) He read "737mm" which is stamped directly on the bar under the grip surface.
That is what my sunline bars say too.

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
Just talked to sunline and they said the bar is 737mm (29") and NOT 745mm (29.5). The tech guy told me it was misprint on their website and they are going to fix it. That explains why my Deity dirty thirty's feel sooooo much wider then my sunlines. So there is your answer Ronan.