Quantcast

Realtime satellite imaging?

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Who do you use, who's the best? I'm currently using Terraserver, because it's easy and FREE, but the images are 6-8 years old. A LOT changes in 6-8 years!
I want realtime....who's got it?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Erm, The richer secret services of the world?

What do you want to look at? Most weather and less powerful observation satellites broadcast unscrambled signals. Anyone who has the kit can pick 'em up for free.

Most of the content on Google Earth is 1-2 yrs old, max.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I just like to see the layout of land before scouting a trail. Figure out where the roads, ravines, trails, homes, etc are before hand. Nothing like finding the perfect line...that runs right into some old lady's yard!
Everything up here is owned, we have no "open" land, so getting a preveiw also makes it more worth while when it comes time for begging for permission.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
mtnbrider said:
I use google earth. I noticed when looking at place in LA,CA that it was at least 4-5 years old.
'Nothing to see here"! Wow. Even butt**** NZ has 2005 imagery.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Changleen said:
'Nothing to see here"! Wow. Even butt**** NZ has 2005 imagery.
Yeah, sure... I was looking at an elementry private schoool I went to years ago In La Canada, LA, CA. The pictures have a garden in the school. Its not there now; just asphault. The last time they had that, was about 5 years ago.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Changleen said:
At the bottom of every 'page' there is a copyright date on the image. Check it out.
It says 2005, but there is no way...
The skatepark that I helped start across the street from that school has only a few wooden quarter pipes and banks. They don't have the funboxes yet in the image.

The put everything in there about 5 years ago.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I signed up with the free version of Google Earth last night.... I may be using the wrong entrance, or whatever, but I can't get no where near close enough. What do I need to do there? I'm stuck at a mile up or something, can't even see cow paths...

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Check and see if your county tax office has their gis department on line. A lot of times they will have an orthophoto layer that is more detailed than much of the available satellite imagery.
There may also be some info from some of your state agencies websites such as the DOT or the environmental departments.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
It depends on the area. The most detailed color pics for google maps only exist for the really populated areas.

Terraserver has B&W maps at the highest res for just about everywhere in the US (that I've checked.)