Quantcast

Rear brake question

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I have a Haro X3 that currentlt has Hayes 9 hyd. brakes. My rear brake just crapped (blew a tear in that rubber thing in the reservoir).

My question is this: how terrible would it be to run a mechanical disc brake on the rear with the big rotor and leave the front hydraulic?

I don't scream stoopid fast on DH runs but use my brakes mostly for control and fear suppresion.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
yeah, I see that point. Where can I find a place to order the "bladder" since that's what's torn?

And I know it's blasphemy, but I don't really like hydraulic brakes anyway.:busted:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Yep. I've heard Avids are pretty good, but I just bought the bike itself and can't really afford a new brake system.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
I can't see myself using anything but Avid for a long long time. Unless they really dropped the ball they're perfect IMO. I have several sets of BB7s and I've tried lots of other mechanical discs. None of them even touch some juicy 7s, codes, shimanos, hopes, maguras, or formulas. The jury is still out on the new hayes brakes IMO.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Good advice, thanks. Our LBS has several big bikes with avid juicy on them, when I go in to order my hayes brake part and grab a coffee, I might just have to do a demo ride! (Yes, one of our LBS also is a coffee bar...small slice of heaven)

1More

Chimp
Mar 24, 2007
if you haven't gotten a new reservoir bladder you can repair the old one in a pinch. a buddy had a hole in his at a race a couple of years ago and i patched it with 2 park glueless patches, one on either side. it save his weekend of racing and lasted another year and a half till he got a new bike & brakes.