Quantcast

Rear Cassette is Loose

Juvat

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Merkel (Dyess AFB), TX
Alright, I have a rear XT disc hub and an XT 9-Speed cassette (I don't remember the numbers, 11-34 maybe?). My problem is that the cassette is loose on the hub. It slides on okay and I've tightened everything up as much as possible without breaking it, but it's still loose.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I THINK this might be it. It been awhile since I installed an XT cassette, but I think that they come with a plastic spacer ring that fits on the back of the cassette (behind your 34T). It looks like a piece of packing material but is not.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Only 3 possiblities:

1. The lockring isnt tight.
2. There is a spacer missing.
3. The cassette is tight but the freehub body is loose on the hub.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I put one of these on my hope hubs. I have to remove it anyways for another project comming up on it.

I remember 1 or 2 spacers within the cassette body. I didn't see or remember any plastic spacer on the back there. I just remembered the spacers in between the little cogs that had to fit in right to space it all out correctly. Wasn't too big of a deal.

If you want when I remove mine I'll take some pics. Mine is new as of christmas time and there's nothing I remember about a plastic piece of any sort other than a piece of plastic holding them all upright like a sleeve. I know it didn't belong on the freehub though.

Check out shimano's website if you're lost, they show some good diagrams and nothing shows a spacer behind the 34t cog unless 11-32 and 11-34 are different.

Juvat

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Merkel (Dyess AFB), TX
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
Only 3 possiblities:

1. The lockring isnt tight.
2. There is a spacer missing.
3. The cassette is tight but the freehub body is loose on the hub.
1. The lockring is tight.
2. According to the exploded view on Shimano's website I've got everything I'm suppose to have. (I have the AS-Group - total of 6 pieces)
3. The freehub body is tight except for some very very minimal play.

When the everything's assembled it's obvious that the cassette is what's not fitting properly. It was the same way on the last XT hub I had. I've used the same cassette both times. Could it be a defective cassette?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Someone will have to refresh my memory - but it seems to me there is a spacer that slides all the way onto the cassette body before the cassette. I can't remember if this cam with the hub or cassette - I haven't had a new hub in quite some time. Later today I'll dig my XT wheels set outta the shed and see what it looks like.

NastySid

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sweden
If you reused stuff from another setup can it by any chance be a problem with a 7 speed casette on a 8/9 speed body?

Then you get a very loose fit.

Then you go down to your lbs and get a cpl of spare spacers from old replaced kasettes and it's sorted..

You should only need 1 or 2 depending on the thickness of the shims..

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
Someone will have to refresh my memory - but it seems to me there is a spacer that slides all the way onto the cassette body before the cassette. I can't remember if this cam with the hub or cassette - I haven't had a new hub in quite some time. Later today I'll dig my XT wheels set outta the shed and see what it looks like.
I think we are thinking of the same thing. I think that it is plastic with a thin metal ring in it- not too unlike the seal of a cart bearing in general appearance. I'm working on my basement owork area today and will see if I can take a pic of one.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
This is from a 8-speed cassette, I assume 9-speed is the same but I have never seen one.

Attachments

Juvat

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Merkel (Dyess AFB), TX
Well, I tore everything apart and compared it to the exploded views on Shimano's website. There isn't a picture with a spacer anywhere. :confused:

I'm gonna try to hit up the LBS Monday for some ideas, but until then suggestions are still appreciated.

Juvat

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Merkel (Dyess AFB), TX
Originally posted by NastySid
If you reused stuff from another setup can it by any chance be a problem with a 7 speed casette on a 8/9 speed body?

Then you get a very loose fit.

Then you go down to your lbs and get a cpl of spare spacers from old replaced kasettes and it's sorted..

You should only need 1 or 2 depending on the thickness of the shims..
All of it has always been for my 9 Speed. I had the non-disc hubs for about 2 months before I upgraded. Still no disc brakes, though. :p

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by D_D
This is from a 8-speed cassette, I assume 9-speed is the same but I have never seen one.
The piece on the bottom right of the pic is the one I was thinking of. You too, RM?

Another idea: I can't remember the spacing of a 9S cassette between the gears. I thin it is either 3mm or 2.5mm. Either way, find the allen wrench that fits snug between the riveted cogs, and use that as a gage to check the spacing between the cogs. If one is too tight or loose, it could indidcate a missing spacer. Sorry for not thinking of that earlier!

Juvat

Chimp
Nov 23, 2003
Merkel (Dyess AFB), TX
Finally had a chance to hit up the LBS for some info. None of the guys there have ever seen this happen before. They looked up the info with me and saw that I wasn't missing any pieces so at least I know I'm not going crazy. ;) I ended up buying a 1/32" spacer (I think that's about the size) and everything works great. The only play is the small amount caused by the freehub.

Thanks again for the input, too. :d

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Couple of possibilities, older 8 and 7 speed lockrings had deeeper threaded bits and the lockring might be bottoming out before it tightens the cassette. If your shop is like mine, home shop that is, there are too many old parts hanging around and maybe you grabbed an old lockring.

Could be a bad 11 tooth or whatever the last cog is. I had a bad 11 tooth once and the splines weren't quite deep enough for the Hugi freehub and that cog bottomed. It was tight but the rest of the cassette was ever so slightly loose. The symptom was a terrible ginding and creaking when it was muddy. I threw on on old used one and all was good.