Quantcast

Rear Derailleur Cable SQUEEK!

midgetorama

Chimp
Jul 15, 2008
Montana
Any ideas on the cause? It just started doing this. Very annoying. I can't pinpoint the location because the sound seems to be traveling the whole length of the cable. It's only when I down shift to a lower gear. Up shifting doesn't make the noise. Sounds like grandpa's old rocking chair.

Thanks.

gruczniak

Chimp
Apr 25, 2008
You could dismount it, lube a line a bit with some olive (rohloff would do). Then you could mount thouse jagwire things at the ends of the housing. You could use termall tape to seal endigs a bit - no more dirt inside - no strange sound from now on.

If this is a FS bike, it could be that the housing is rubbing the frame or other housing. Look at it.

Personally i hate such sounds so good luck

Rob K

Chimp
Aug 25, 2008
Southern Cali (USA)
I'm assuming this is a general steel cable and not a Teflon coated cable and housing kit?

If it is then it shouldn't squeak unless the coating has worn off or is damaged.

FWIW, I use TriFlow and I place a few drops down into the housing whenever I run a new cable; it's rare that I reuse the same cable unless it's still somewhat new (cables are fairly cheap from the LBS so like tubes I tend to stock a bunch).

I like TriFlow because it's lightweight, doesn't gum up over time and I use it on other moving parts on my bike (like the pivot points on the derailleur).

Questions:

1. How old is the cable and housing?
2. When was the cable last replaced?
3. Is there any visible damage to the housing?
4. Are you sure it's the cable and not the derailleur or shifter?
5. Is this a Teflon coated cable set? If so, check for any damage to the coating on the cable and be sure you're running the correct housing.