Quantcast

rear derailleur

Sshields32

Monkey
Mar 7, 2008
Warwick, NY
I bought a Sram x.9 rear derailer and I put it on and it was working great, shifting like i wanted it to. But i bought a new x.9 front derailer and now my rear derailer is shifting like its a 10 speed, but i run a 9 speed cassette.
What should i do? I dont know what i did to the derailer to make it start shifting differently, If i did anything.

Edit: Should i have put this in the tech forum?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The front derailleur should have absolutly nothing to do with the rear.

When you say "shifting like a ten speed," what exactly do you mean? Is the indexing off, so that it dosn't line up with the cassette cogs? Or does it just shift like poo?

Sshields32

Monkey
Mar 7, 2008
Warwick, NY
Well, i run a nine speed and my rear derailleur is shifting like a ten speed.
It doesnt line up right with the cogs.
Should i just adjust the high limit screw?

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
If you put a new shifter cable on with the new rear derailleur, what probably happened is that the cable just stretched out a bit. The fact that it happened at the same time as the front derailleur is likely just a coincidence. All you need to do is re-tension your cable either by using the barrel adjusters or by unscrewing the cable, tensioning it, then re-clamping it. Keep in mind, that nearly every problem with shifting can be fixed by doing four things.

1) Take off derailleur and check hanger alignment (usually not the cause unless problem showed up after a fall, so in your case, don't worry about this)

2) Align upper limit screw (or lower on a rapid-rise derailleur) so that upper pulley wheel is in line with the smallest (or biggest for rapid-rise) cog.

3) Tension and tighten down shift cable while in the lowest-tension gear.

4) Shift into the highest tension gear and adjust lower limit screw (or upper limit screw for rapid-rise) and adjust the B-Limit screw so that the upper pulley wheel is in line with the biggest cog (or smallest cog for rapid-rise) and is as close as possible for shimano derailleurs (5mm away from cog for SRAM stuff).

-Stef

Sshields32

Monkey
Mar 7, 2008
Warwick, NY
Thanks a lot for the help. I checked the cable tension and it was pretty tight so i just completely redid the derailleur and now it works perfectly.
Thanks again!