Quantcast

rear hub help

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
ok soo im now 100% pissed with my rear Xt hub. No matter how many times i tighten down the cones they allways come loose like a day layter. I've had enuff of this! time for a new hub. Soo what should i get thats better then a xt but not crazy expencive like a king?

Note: Will be built up on a 32 hole, 24inch Mag30 probley with DT2.0 spokes.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
go with something good, if i've learned anything its dont skip on the rear hubs, maybe front, but not rear. Go with the hugis or the hopes or the sun ringle's, they seem to hold up from what i've seen. Dont go with like qbp's generic stuff or something
________
Ship sale

Last edited:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Overtightening your skewer can cause loosening of the rear hub... which is what I used to do and killed a hub or two.

Just something to watch for...

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I don't think its the skewer but I'll keep a eye on it thanks. I have set the cones my self and had my lbs do it aswell im sure thats not the issue either.

back on track now.. I was looking at the Sun Ringle ABBAH SOS hub it seems like a good choice. any one here running one?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
overtightening the skewer isn't the problem. what happens is when you tighten the skewer the axle bends which loads the bearings from the side. so to prevent this you just set up your bearings a little bit loose(tiny bit) and then when you tighten the skewer, the axle flex tightens the bearings to the right spot.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
PepperJester said:
I don't think its the skewer but I'll keep a eye on it thanks. I have set the cones my self and had my lbs do it aswell im sure thats not the issue either.

back on track now.. I was looking at the Sun Ringle ABBAH SOS hub it seems like a good choice. any one here running one?
dude do NOT buy that hub. i was running one until i stripped out the pawls (normally not a big deal) after 1 month of riding -yeah brand new-. but for some reason when i tried to order new pawls the owner of the bike shop couldn't get ahold of Sun for like 2 weeks. And go figure, he had the exact same hub as me, and he'd stripped his pawls the day before i did. we had a good laugh about that one.

so i decided to take matters in my own hands. i called Sun multiple times. every time i got pawned off to an answering machine in the "customer service" dept. last time i talked to the owner of my shop he still hadn't got in touch with anyone at Sun. i left multiple messages over a couple of weeks cus i was trying to get my bike going again for a Northstar trip i had planned.

long story short. i ended up having to rent a bike cus i never even talked to a person who even knew what a hub was (kinda sux when u have a perfectly good 4k DH bike sitting in your room). then i had to dish out $280 for a Hadley+build when i got home.

so far it's been great. and all i know is i HAMMER my sh**. rock gardens, road gaps, droppers galore baby... not to mention every person who owns a hadley absolutely loves em. best DH hub on the planet. spend the extra $$$$$. i learned the hard way so you don't have too. you can spend $300 now or you can spend 200 on the Sun and then 300 on a hadley after you blow up the pos SUn.

***on a side note. i run a XT on my 6" bike and i've never had the cones come loose in 2 years... but the hub i had on it b4 would come loose every other ride like u said. so i dunno. maybe just try to lock-tight those mf's. i know a bike shop would tell you not to do that, but it's a cheap ass hub so u might as well try it b4 u shell out the big bucks.

Geoff G.

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
scituate mass
wikitypooshlag said:
dude do NOT buy that hub. i was running one until i stripped out the pawls (normally not a big deal) after 1 month of riding -yeah brand new-. but for some reason when i tried to order new pawls the owner of the bike shop couldn't get ahold of Sun for like 2 weeks. And go figure, he had the exact same hub as me, and he'd stripped his pawls the day before i did. we had a good laugh about that one.

so i decided to take matters in my own hands. i called Sun multiple times. every time i got pawned off to an answering machine in the "customer service" dept. last time i talked to the owner of my shop he still hadn't got in touch with anyone at Sun. i left multiple messages over a couple of weeks cus i was trying to get my bike going again for a Northstar trip i had planned.

long story short. i ended up having to rent a bike cus i never even talked to a person who even knew what a hub was (kinda sux when u have a perfectly good 4k DH bike sitting in your room). then i had to dish out $280 for a Hadley+build when i got home.

so far it's been great. and all i know is i HAMMER my sh**. rock gardens, road gaps, droppers galore baby... not to mention every person who owns a hadley absolutely loves em. best DH hub on the planet. spend the extra $$$$$. i learned the hard way so you don't have too. you can spend $300 now or you can spend 200 on the Sun and then 300 on a hadley after you blow up the pos SUn.

***on a side note. i run a XT on my 6" bike and i've never had the cones come loose in 2 years... but the hub i had on it b4 would come loose every other ride like u said. so i dunno. maybe just try to lock-tight those mf's. i know a bike shop would tell you not to do that, but it's a cheap ass hub so u might as well try it b4 u shell out the big bucks.
I've been riding a used abbah this whole season, and it has held up fine, I have also ridden a hadley, and I can say that for $100 more I would go with the hadley, because it has alot more points of contact, and definatly get it with the 10mm ti through axel, stiffer. But if you are on a budget, go with the sun. It works really good, and I've never had a problem with it. And it sounds good

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
for and inexpensive yet good hub look into woodman. i have had 2 of their hubs and other products and they have never failed me and i don't go easy on my stuff

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
Geoff G. said:
I've been riding a used abbah this whole season, and it has held up fine, I have also ridden a hadley, and I can say that for $100 more I would go with the hadley, because it has alot more points of contact, and definatly get it with the 10mm ti through axel, stiffer. But if you are on a budget, go with the sun. It works really good, and I've never had a problem with it. And it sounds good

I don't know what kind of riding you do but Sun does not make a good hub. even if the hub was good why would you want to support a company with such horrible customer service... go to mtbr.com and read the reviews. i'm pretty sure you'll see that the thing is a POS. don't mislead this guy into buying junk. BUY A HADLEY.

Aug 30, 2005
San Diego
gemini2k said:
hmm, i've had nothing to good luck with sun-ringle cs, same day returned phone calls, friendly prompt email responses.....you mustve been unlucky
yeah and i guess the owner of my local shop was unlucky too cus he couldn't get ahold of them for weeks. just like me. point is... if you buy a hadley you won't have to worry about customer service cus it won't break.

*edit. yeah the shop owner did say that sun used to have good cs. i guess he'd stripped the pawls on his hub like 5 months earlier and they sent him new ones within a week. but for some reason this last time we couldn't get ahold of them for weeks. maybe mid-summer races... i dunno but still no excuse whatsoever.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
Hadleys are probably some of the most, if not the nicest hubs available. My buddy runs one on his Scream Bender Edition, and it is not only one of the lightest hubs I have ever felt, but it is strong as hell. However, Hadley's come with a pretty hefty price tag, so if you can spare the cash, definitely get one, but if not, Sun-Ringle, Atomlab, Hugi, and Woodman all make very high quality hubs for fairly reasonable prices.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
MisterMental said:
i cant believe im the only person thats mentioned hope,
sort yourself out
...Oh yeah. I completely forgot about them. I have never ridden their hubs but if they are as good as their brakes, then they must have something going for them.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
well was in to my lbs today - my wrench thinks that the berrings may be shot soo were going to tare the hub down and have a look, hoppfully a new set will fix me up. if not then its hadley time!