Quantcast

Rear Hub

mikeG

Chimp
Nov 14, 2004
Menlo Park, CA
Currently I am running a Paul's rear SS hub. I am running a gear ratio of 40/20 on my dirt jumper. The ratio seems good and my chain line is dialed and I have rear tensioners but I still have times where the chain comes off. I am thinking of maybe purchasing a cassette hub to help this problem? Anyone else ever experience this?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
If you are running horiz. dropouts with tugs, and tension and line are correct, the only reason I could think of for your chain to be dropping is that your axel is somehow slipping in the dropouts.

If you're running vertical dropouts with a tensioner then I'd say your tensioner is coming loose.

Of course a third possibility is that the teeth on your cog are worn to the point that they just can't hold the chain under torque.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
I just had the same issue this weekend when converting my Azonic to SS. I have horiz dropouts with a QR skewer (not a good combo, I know). I left all the cogs of my cassette on (cheap spacers) and had a tug style tensioner on the drive side with the der. hanger removed. I gave it about four good cranks as if I was coming out of a starting gate and the skewer and wheel got shoved to the front of the dropout and in doing so bent the fixing screws of the tensioner and also bent my dropout. I put the der. hanger back on as it seems to act as reinforcement on the dropout and I will probably buy a beefier tensioner (never buy a Redline tensioner). I've been riding BMX for about 10 years now and this seems to be the only solution that I've found so far.