Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
you would use the same five rear hubs for the three styles of riding

1 Hadley (my favorite)
2 true persision
3 dt swiss
4 chris king (but i dont like them)
5 woodman(inexsensive but very high quality, my second favorite)

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have lots of experience with both Kings and stealth (true precision). The fronts are both really light (sub 200 gram 20mm) but the rear stealth is super heavy and the King is way light. Stealth is killer if you need a silent hub and the instant engagement is really cool. The problem is that Todd only makes a few at a time so they can be hard to get unless you have lots of time to wait. I have a stealth front on my DH bike becasue it is the best interchangable hub out there. But the bearings roached pretty fast compared to my kings which are still golden. I have seen many stealth rear hubs freeze up do to the clutch failing and that can be a major pain if you are hauling ass when it happens or are deep in the backcountry. Does anyone now if TP has released the new version of the rear hub? They had to redesign it because the german manufacturer of the actual clutch went out of biz I think. I know lots of BMX racers who use stealth with good results but for XC mtb they are less reliable. I still feel that King makes the best hubs period but others will disagree.

dlb

Monkey
Apr 15, 2004
socal
I havent tried all of them, but the rear King is hard to beat except for price, its light and very reliable. For price and quality, I think that the Hope Bulb is one of the best.
Front hubs are just a shell and some bearings, again the Hope is on tops for me, can change from QR to TA with adapters and its light.
Another nice front hub is the Hugi FR, much like the Bulb in performance and versatility.