Quantcast

Rear rim for my BMX?

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Well, the rear wheel on my GT Bump is dying (along with some other things I've already replaced - cranks, pedals, bars, etc). The hub has worn through a surprising amount of the cones, and the rim is developing a few flat spots, but has been surprisingly durable.

Well, I ordered a Primo Pro Cassette hub which is now sitting here waiting for a rim. A couple of the rims I've been looking at are the Primo Hula Hoop, Alex Supra E, and the Alex Supra J. Does anybody have any more suggestions, or any reasons to go with any of the above rims?

Thanks for any advice.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
I've been using a hula hoop 48 custom built to a demolition hub for about a year and half. I'm hard on wheels (think lots of botched 180s and 360s) and it's barely out of true. Whether or not that has anything to do with the rim I dunno, just giving the facts. Alex supra Es are really heavy, and heavy wheels are a pain to ride with imo.

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
I ride hazard lites. I am not a big guy but I case a lot of stuff and they are still straight. Normal Hazards look really strong but I havent had any expierience on them. Alex rims are damn strong though, even their single wall rims hold up. I would also look into finding a set of Araya Himiko. Those are sopposed to be really relaible

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk
I've been using a hula hoop 48 custom built to a demolition hub for about a year and half. I'm hard on wheels (think lots of botched 180s and 360s) and it's barely out of true. Whether or not that has anything to do with the rim I dunno, just giving the facts. Alex supra Es are really heavy, and heavy wheels are a pain to ride with imo.
My thoughts exactly, those Alex rims are nearly 2 pounds of rim, on an already heavy Primo hub, so I was thinking of the Primo rim, with my super sweet build job. :D

Thanks for the advice.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
For a rear I'd go for the Supra Sigma. I'm not sure, but I hear Oddyssey Hazard rims are pretty damn tough...

Alex also has a few new rims for this year you might want to check out.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by KonaDude

My thoughts exactly, those Alex rims are nearly 2 pounds of rim, on an already heavy Primo hub, so I was thinking of the Primo rim, with my super sweet build job. :D

Thanks for the advice.
hey...If I can ride Supra E's then so can you;)

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
I ride an Alex Supra-J 48 spoke in the back on a Ody cassette. I have a Primo 48 Hula Hoop in the front and like it. The Supra-J is easier to take off Primo Wall tires, where as the Hula hoop is quite hard for me to take off by hand if I am out in the street with no levers. That is just me, but some may say they can get their Primo walls off Hula hoops real easy, but I have not met anyone yet.

If you get flats in the rear a lot, think about that as well.

Attachments

Graham

Chimp
Nov 8, 2001
Simcoe, Ontario
Yo Ian...
Check the Araya RBJ 1. They're pretty much the same design as Supra-E rims, but 40% lighter.
You're running 36-13 with that cassette hub, aren't you?
Which sprocket do you have?

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Originally posted by Graham
Yo Ian...
Check the Araya RBJ 1. They're pretty much the same design as Supra-E rims, but 40% lighter.
You're running 36-13 with that cassette hub, aren't you?
Which sprocket do you have?
I got a Macneil sprocket, yep 36-13.

Get on ICQ man.

And where are those pedal parts, eh? :D

serbdog

Monkey
May 13, 2002
drexel hill, pa
Originally posted by Graham
And Serbdog...
Nice Flatline. How is it?
I like it a lot. The backend is a kind of short and that is what I wanted and it is roomy enough for my lanky legs...I am 6ft and I think my legs are 5ft, kidding.

The down tube has some dents, so not sure on how durable their metal is since I had an FBM angel of death and Metal Kizz before and they seemed to hold dentwise better. Out of all the frames, I like this one the best.

For the dents, they came from missed sprocket chunks on weird objects, but at the time the force did not seem like much.

I have a new Pitchfor on it now since I broke the dropout on the one in the photo.

Graham

Chimp
Nov 8, 2001
Simcoe, Ontario
Sweet man.
I have this year's 415 Pro, with some different parts on it. The components plain rule - I've had no problem with them, except for the cassette hub - the body came insanely loose, and Specialized warrantied it, no problem. They even gave me a loaner wheel to ride while mine was being fixed - exact same rim, just on a freewheel hub. And I get to keep it too.
But yeah - I've been looking at that Flatline for a while. Mighty tempting. But so many frames are as well. Heaton's back end is quite similar to the Flatline.
How short is the back end anyway? Like 14?
I've been looking at Commercial and Alliance frames - companies here in Ontario - they are offering 21" TT with a 13.75" back end...oooh sweet.

But yeah - sweeet ride!

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
i had a alex supra e for like a year and i beat the **** out of it, it took it real well. now ive got a mosh hub 36 to big city, been riding that all summer and its doin pretty good. had to true it once just after i got it, but its pretty good.