Quantcast

Rear Shock Knowledge / Rant Space

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Just as I was inquiring about maybe pulling the trigger on an EXT and had a buyer for my X2, EXT announced that they are shuttering their factory for at least the next week (realistically, likely much longer given the pace of the pandemic). Alas.
:blink:
brennan autosport
usa ext dealer and "shock whisperer"

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I had inquired with Suspension Syndicate, who are the EXT-USA distributor. All shocks are still built in Italy, so Brennan Autosport will have their supply choked too.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Just as I was inquiring about maybe pulling the trigger on an EXT and had a buyer for my X2, EXT announced that they are shuttering their factory for at least the next week (realistically, likely much longer given the pace of the pandemic). Alas.
Italy shut all non-critical companies down. No production happening in the country aside strategic goods.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Surprisingly little info about them, but does anyone have any love for the DVO Jade or Jade X? Jade X seems a little too dumbed down for me without any real compression adjustments, whereas the Jade hasn't changed in a few years so may be a bit dated. I had a Topaz on one of my old bikes that actually worked really well despite lack of adjustment, but I'm not sure if their coil offerings can really hold a candle to others these days. Seems like DVO has a pretty dedicated fan base, but it also seems like most of them are mid-40s weekend warrior dads from SoCal, don't see much of their stuff here in the PNW.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Surprisingly little info about them, but does anyone have any love for the DVO Jade or Jade X? Jade X seems a little too dumbed down for me without any real compression adjustments, whereas the Jade hasn't changed in a few years so may be a bit dated. I had a Topaz on one of my old bikes that actually worked really well despite lack of adjustment, but I'm not sure if their coil offerings can really hold a candle to others these days. Seems like DVO has a pretty dedicated fan base, but it also seems like most of them are mid-40s weekend warrior dads from SoCal, don't see much of their stuff here in the PNW.
Get the Bomber CR + Avy already, DAMMIT! :D
I have a Topaz in a box somewhere. Super low stiction for an air shock but I don't think I ever had any other shock/fork that I checked for air spring leaks as often. :blah:

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
I´ve recently bought a Jade for my Devinci Wilson, but haven´t had any chance to try it on the trails yet. I´ve ridden some stairs though and i must say it does feel really promising. It has a very pronounced HSR setting, which has yet to prove to recover fast enough when hitting big stuff repeatedly on the trail, but it makes for a very controlled feel. Probably something some might dislike, but i´m also in the mid range when it comes to body weight, so heavier guys (with higher spring rates) may not feel this as pronounced as i do. It also feels like the HSR doesn´t kick in all the time. More like it´s selecting which hits to react to. Haven´t had that with other shocks before. Again, will be interesting to see how this translates to the trail.
The LSC isn´t very pronounced when you push on the bike and it seems like it doesn´t do much at first. It took me a while to realize that it does keep me higher in travel despite not being as noticeable as on other dampers. Others i´ve had always got to a point where too much LSC made for a very dead and too firm feeling shock, but the Jade seems to strike a good balance and keep adjustments within a usable range. Again, no practical use yet, just some initial impressions.
I´ve also not felt any stickiness despite the large shaft diameter, but i guess that´s to be expected on a dh bike. So far i´m not concerned about any lack of comfort. It made the stairs disappear and put my FAST Boxxer to shame, so i expect it to be very comfy on the track.
If you expect to adjust your settings often, like add in some LSC for climbing, get another shock. The dials are horribly sharp and lack grip which makes them super hard to adjust. They also lack defined klicks which doesn´t make things easier. Managable on the dh bike, maybe less so on a trail bike.
Otherwise it´s nicely machined andhas a quality look to it.

Last edited:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Get the Bomber CR + Avy already, DAMMIT!
Yeah yeah yeah...looking into it still. Been struggling to get a reply from Avy on their lead time, but last I saw it was a couple of months. I'd potentially be able to run the stock Bomber CR for a bit until I can get a tune window, but I don't trust a $300 shock to perform all that well...but maybe that's presumptive?

Also, do Fox SLS springs actually have all of these issues that people talk about?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Also, do Fox SLS springs actually have all of these issues that people talk about?
What are the issues people talk about?
I've been using one for nearly a year now. It is very light. It may have gotten softer, idk. It is still bouncy.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I was Googling around for reviews of the Bomber CR and saw a lot of mentions from people about SLS springs warping, softening super quickly, etc. Maybe that was an early iteration or just a small group of loud voices, seemed a little weird to me but I saw enough mentions that I was curious. Most of those comments seemed to be from 2016-ish

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My Avy Bomber is ok, but now that it's wet out I really wish it had externally adjustable high speed compression.
Not going to lie, I've actually used that on my Avy RC4, I think getting faster on our new trails had me going bigger and needing more bottom-out resistance, so closing down the HSC a bit helped.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I was Googling around for reviews of the Bomber CR and saw a lot of mentions from people about SLS springs warping, softening super quickly, etc. Maybe that was an early iteration or just a small group of loud voices, seemed a little weird to me but I saw enough mentions that I was curious. Most of those comments seemed to be from 2016-ish
You don't need to use SLS spring. I run mine with a collection of old school lightweight Marzocchi Ti coils, and a few Cane Creek "light" coils.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Yeah yeah yeah...looking into it still. Been struggling to get a reply from Avy on their lead time, but last I saw it was a couple of months. I'd potentially be able to run the stock Bomber CR for a bit until I can get a tune window, but I don't trust a $300 shock to perform all that well...but maybe that's presumptive?

I was talking to Craig just over a week ago about a retune on my DH bike cartridge. At the time he said the lead time was 5 weeks, putting it at the end of April. Since then he seems to have gone dark. He asked about sending out an invoice so I have a slot in queue. Told him to send it out, and nothing. Sent another a few days later, and the same....crickets.

Hope everything is ok,

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I was talking to Craig just over a week ago about a retune on my DH bike cartridge. At the time he said the lead time was 5 weeks, putting it at the end of April. Since then he seems to have gone dark. He asked about sending out an invoice so I have a slot in queue. Told him to send it out, and nothing. Sent another a few days later, and the same....crickets.

Hope everything is ok,
Funny you say that, he actually just called me in response to my email. Still 5 week lead-time, he said they're buried in orders right now. I also got a lengthy explanation for why Fox's X2 is a steaming poo of a shock, which was somewhat satisfying.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Funny you say that, he actually just called me in response to my email. Still 5 week lead-time, he said they're buried in orders right now. I also got a lengthy explanation for why Fox's X2 is a steaming poo of a shock, which was somewhat satisfying.
Yeah, he hates those with a passion. I originally asked him to re-valve my DHX2, he politely asked me to get a better chassis for custom valving first.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Hope everything is ok,
I talked to Wendy a few weeks ago and was told sometime in April for a shock service, same thing, booked up pretty solid. She said I could send it in and wait, or they'd let me know when to send. I said let me know.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yeah, he hates those with a passion. I originally asked him to re-valve my DHX2, he politely asked me to get a better chassis for custom valving first.
Its crazy he wont do his x2 ssd.
He did the float x2 on my pivot 5.5...
When i got my mondraker summum he refused on the dhx2
I mean he developed his setup and then refuses to do it? Like burning time and money

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Its crazy he wont do his x2 ssd.
He did the float x2 on my pivot 5.5...
When i got my mondraker summum he refused on the dhx2
I mean he developed his setup and then refuses to do it? Like burning time and money
He told me that he would do a tune for the X2 if I really wanted it, but said that the best he could do was "30% better on the X2, or you can buy a Bomber CR and get 300% better". It also sounds like the parts he needs from Fox for his mod are based on an older model of X2, and he was also talking about how Fox has redesigned the shock annually for the last 5 years or so rather than introducing something new.

His main gripe seems to be with the poppet system "not providing real damping", and I'm not sure he can really change much of the tune with that system vs. a shimmed arrangement.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Last I checked with him regarding the X2 (years ago), he said the problem is the size of piston he's able to use with the twin tube shock, compared to the Van RC/Bomber. I think he said the piston is the same size as the one he uses for the old Float X air shock. So the range of tuning is smaller...and then you have the poppet system gripe you mention. On top of all this, like you mentioned again, Fox makes slight changes internally so then he has to start changing additional parts to make his work.

I think the Van RC/Bomber is his go-to because of the larger piston and the fact it hasn't changed in years. I suppose that's why Push's 11-6 has a similar chassis; all their previous work and tuning (think MX and MX-2 tuning) is based on the Fox DHX/RC platform which has proven to be reliable and easy to work with.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
No experience with the EXT, but the Tractive tune of the Super Deluxe air on my V3 Bronson transformed that bike. Both of my other bikes are coil sprung, one with a custom avy tune, but I have no inclination to convert the Bronson to coil based on current performance of that shock.
I just got my Super Deluxe air for my Megatower back from Vorsprung. I can't say it completely transformed the bike, but I am happy with it. I just don't find it's a completely night and day thing. I didn't have my SD on my bike for a while so before I sent it out, I re-installed it went for a ride with just so I could refresh my memory on how it felt 'stock'. I will say it completely convinces me the 11-6 and the dual-compression circuits is silly. If you have a decent pedalling bike, coupled with a shock with Tractive tuning (or maybe Avalanche tuning - not sure what the differences are), then you're set with just a simple climb switch.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I just got my Super Deluxe air for my Megatower back from Vorsprung. I can't say it completely transformed the bike, but I am happy with it. I just don't find it's a completely night and day thing. I didn't have my SD on my bike for a while so before I sent it out, I re-installed it went for a ride with just so I could refresh my memory on how it felt 'stock'. I will say it completely convinces me the 11-6 and the dual-compression circuits is silly. If you have a decent pedalling bike, coupled with a shock with Tractive tuning (or maybe Avalanche tuning - not sure what the differences are), then you're set with just a simple climb switch.
I was really hoping Push would decrease the cost of the 11-6 by creating a simpler one with a single circuit, esp. given the pressure they're probably feeling from the EXT entrance into the US market. I'd love to support a US manufacturer that makes a sick shock, but for me there is no point in their dual circuit shenanigans.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The reason it transformed my Bronson is because the early stock tune on that shock/bike sucked so bad, which they supposedly updated later.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was really hoping Push would decrease the cost of the 11-6 by creating a simpler one with a single circuit, esp. given the pressure they're probably feeling from the EXT entrance into the US market. I'd love to support a US manufacturer that makes a sick shock, but for me there is no point in their dual circuit shenanigans.
I'd like to know if people would notice a difference between their 'trail' setting on their 11-6, vs a normal climb switch, like on the CCDB for example. I think the climb mode on my Tractive tune Super Deluxe is stiffer compared to my CCDB Air I used to ride.

Meanwhile, Avalanche doesn't think their shocks like the Woodie/Chubie need a climb switch.

StiHacka

Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I'd like to know if people would notice a difference between their 'trail' setting on their 11-6, vs a normal climb switch, like on the CCDB for example. I think the climb mode on my Tractive tune Super Deluxe is stiffer compared to my CCDB Air I used to ride.
Where I live, the CS is a gimmick because you switch from climbing to descending 20x a minute. The CCDB CS works impressively well though, the difference in rebound damping is a massive difference compared to i.e. the CS on the DHX2.

That said, I used the CS consistently on the Monkey-aaah-doh-yay! fest, and nearly destroyed the rear wheel when I hit an unexpected masked bump at speed. For me the CSs just suck.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
this has a name ;)
It is called “avavalanche woodie”
They are $799

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm not buying one until they rebrand, put some different stickers on it and call it the "tumescent monster boner because this is a dick reference, get it, it's a dick damper, huh huh dick dick dick."
But what if you run it on a Cove G-spot?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
this has a name ;)
It is called “avavalanche woodie”
They are $799
Fair play, forgot about that one. I've never seen one in person, like ever, so wasn't sure they were still even something people were buying to be honest.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Fair play, forgot about that one. I've never seen one in person, like ever, so wasn't sure they were still even something people were buying to be honest.
haha.

I'd personally just save $150 and tune a Marz RC, and forgo the adjustable high speed compression adjust for most bikes (currently debating spending for HSC on a super progressive trail bike, however). But if made in the USA, and/or adjustable HSC is important to you, then the Woodie (huh huh) is as awesome as it gets (at least for me).

having owned a number (7 or 8) of Avalanche built and tuned shocks over the years, both DH and xc bikes, and ridden most other shocks on the market (not an EXT nor an Ohlins) enough to get them setup properly for me... the avy stuff just nails it on dirt in a way that others don't, and in an un-assuming nonsense way (at least for me). Just be honest about what you want in the notes, and they will tune the shock to your preference.

My view is that the tech is the tech, and it's worked really well for 30 years already, so there isn't something really to "innovate" on... to the point that most "innovation" is actually less good than what used to be (ie DHX2 vs RC4, etc) out on the market before.

No horse in the race, just something to consider!

Last edited:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
haha.

I'd personally just save $150 and tune a Marz RC, and forgo the adjustable high speed compression adjust for most bikes (currently debating spending for HSC on a super progressive trail bike, however). But if made in the USA, and/or adjustable HSC is important to you, then the Woodie (huh huh) is as awesome as it gets.

having owned a number (7 or 8) of Avalanche built and tuned shocks over the years, both DH and xc bikes, and ridden most other shocks on the market (not an EXT nor an Ohlins) enough to get them setup properly for me... the avy stuff just nails it on dirt in a way that others don't, and in an un-assuming nonsense way (at least for me). Just be honest about what you want in the notes, and they will tune the shock to your preference.

My view is that the tech is the tech, and it's worked really well for 30 years already, so there isn't something really to "innovate" on... to the point that most "innovation" is actually less good than what used to be (ie DHX2 vs RC4, etc) out on the market before.
That's a great way to think about it. Maybe I would notice these shocks more in the wild if Craig made stickers to go on your truck window/toolbox - "I have a Woodie" or "I have a Chubie" would really clarify things for me when I saw bikes on tailgates on the highway.