Quantcast

Rear Shock Knowledge / Rant Space

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
You're not that young. You kow what a chubbie is.

You also can can scroll past the first thing on urban dictionary and read the second one.
Well I initially thought all those years ago Avalanche meant to say 'Chubby' or 'Chubbie' instead of Chubie. That's why I love Urban Dictionary, it makes everything mean something!

Fair play, forgot about that one. I've never seen one in person, like ever, so wasn't sure they were still even something people were buying to be honest.
I've had a Woodie on my Intense M9 and then had it valved for an Intense 951 Evo (it's awesome BTW). I didn't go that hard the last few years in Whistler but out of all the times I've been, I think I've seen one other bike with one installed. One clown in the lineup one year asked me if it had 'blown' yet...he was riding a DHX2. I started laughing. If you get one, make sure you plan on keeping your bike for a while. Re-sizing those shocks is ultra expensive.

Craig really needs to update the stickers he puts on those things. The decals he uses are from when he started servicing and modifying 5th Element shocks.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'd like to know if people would notice a difference between their 'trail' setting on their 11-6, vs a normal climb switch, like on the CCDB for example. I think the climb mode on my Tractive tune Super Deluxe is stiffer compared to my CCDB Air I used to ride.
The DB Air CS has a higher breakaway force required to get it moving than the DB Coil CS does, and they actually have two different climb switches to deal with this. The DB Air CS climb switch doesn't provide nearly as firm a feeling as the DB Coil CS climb switch. It's pretty easy to swap one to the other during a service if you ever decide you want the climb switch to have a stronger effect.

Actually, it's more to do with the high speed compression valve itself, but either way, pretty easy to swap one for the other.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I run mine with a collection of old school lightweight Marzocchi Ti coils
These are awesome, if you or anyone else are trading in future I have a 400 and 550 but want a 450.

They're made by the same OEM who made the progressive, manitou, dsp brand springs = mint.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Old family pic from 2014, need an updated one with new kids.

titanium.jpg

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I've ventured into some shocks, buy never short-shocked a bike. I have a good deal on a 222mm Fox RC4, and I'd like to shorten it to 216mm. Would it be as simple as I imagine it, just sticking a 7-8 mm plastic puck in the shaft between the sealhead and the main piston?? Or am I missing something and I'm risking my balls by forcing the shock into exploding mode?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I've ventured into some shocks, buy never short-shocked a bike. I have a good deal on a 222mm Fox RC4, and I'd like to shorten it to 216mm. Would it be as simple as I imagine it, just sticking a 7-8 mm plastic puck in the shaft between the sealhead and the main piston?? Or am I missing something and I'm risking my balls by forcing the shock into exploding mode?
Read the RC4 chicanery thread by HAB.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I've shortened a few RC4s but I did it by shortening the body on a lathe and then limiting the stroke with a plastic spacer on the shaft. How much stroke and what i2i length do you want to finish with?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
So then on the threaded side of the shock body you would take off 7mm and then make a clip on spacer out of plastic 7mm thick to go on the shaft under the bottom out bumper. You might be able to squeeze a little bit more stroke out of the shock (if you wanted). You could probably do it without a lathe if you had to.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Thanks again for the reply! Makes sense. A lot simpler than messing with a floating spacer attached to the shaft, between the sealhead and the piston head as I intended to do it.

I do have access to a lathe and some flight hours on it, althoug I'd rather have my friend the machinist to do it ;-).

Last edited:

DanMcDan

Chimp
May 1, 2020
Err you shouldn’t have to take any metal off the shock, a simple clip in 7mm spacer on the seal head will shorten the i2i and the stroke by the distance required, as per the thread linked above.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Sounds to me like they slapped some fancy dials on there and kept the innards pretty much the same. I mean they are touting a new oil seal as a feature in the press release, they'd certainly make a big deal out of moving from poppet valves to shims.

Also never heard this claim before: On top of that, the overall range of adjustment has been increased. Cane Creek claims this helps eliminate the need for bike-specific damping tunes, making it an easier shock to buy aftermarket.

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
A better oil seal and it looks like the sealhead is quite a bit longer, which should mean more/bigger bushings with better overlap and better shaft support which are all good things. There isn't much about the air spring other than one caption saying the sensitivity is improved and the website says better air seals and backup rings, but a larger volume negative spring more in line with Fox/RS offerings would have been the obvious place for them to start looking for real world improvements.

Last edited:

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
The ability for the rebound to be slowed down further is actually a needed improvement, it was easy to go beyond the range on some frames already. Less resolution between clicks though, this product is obviously targeted at other people, give me a DVO rebound clicker with 70 clicks that make tiny, tiny adjustments any day.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly, but how does removing the indents on the dials make it easier to tune or put back to where you had it?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
A better oil seal and it looks like the sealhead is quite a bit longer, which should mean more/bigger bushings with better overlap and better shaft support which are all good things. There isn't much about the air spring other than one caption saying the sensitivity is improved and the website says better air seals and backup rings, but a larger volume negative spring more in line with Fox/RS offerings would have been the obvious place for them to start looking for real world improvements.
Other than being a poppet shock. The DB would fail because of the bushing being to small. Hopefully the bladder ripping is fixed.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
But isn’t a last gen Fox a second to last gen Cane Creek with a bigger air can?
Isn't a cane creek just a literal carbon copy of an ohlins ttx25, that ohlins doesn't use for offroad appications....

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Isn't a cane creek just a literal carbon copy of an ohlins ttx25, that ohlins doesn't use for offroad appications....
Other way around. One of my old FSAE teammates ended up working at Ohlins USA, and was helping FSAE teams by revalving Double Barrels. Apparently Cane Creek and Ohlins decided that there would be an Ohlins branded version for FSAE that was made by Cane Creek. That way, CC didn't have to deal with the FSAE teams, but still made the shocks. That's based on my memory and understanding.