Quantcast

rear suspension questions - Heckler w/5th element

mtncycle

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Philadelphia
I recently bought a used 2004 Santa Cruz Heckler w/a 5th element shock. First full susp. bike, so I don't know a lot about rear suspension. Bike is in great shape, but the spring on the 5th is rusted from garage storage. Wanted to replace the spring, but not sure what size I need as I can't read the numbers on the current spring, and it seems Progressive doesn't make mtb suspension anymore. Frame is an XL and I weigh around 215.

Also thinking about just getting a whole new rear shock, so I'm open to any recommendations. I do a mix of trail riding, with some dirt jumping/slightly more aggressive riding on occasion.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you're going to get a new rear shock, get a Marzocchi Roco TST.

That said, your 5th is a pretty good shock, and the economical solution would be to just get a new spring. I can't help with what weight you need though. Does the seller remember what weight it is?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I have a 450x2.25 Marzocchi spring that I'm not doing anything with. I have to imagine that it fits, because I'm running a Progressive Ti spring on my Roco, and that fits well.

mtncycle

Chimp
Jun 22, 2006
Philadelphia
thanks for the replies.

I might be interested in giving the 'zocchi spring a try. Best I can make out, the current spring is 2.0 x ?00 (can't read the second no.). What effect would the 2.0 vs. 2.25 have?

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
No experience with the Zocchi, although it sounds sweet, but my buddy just replaced his 5th element with a DHX 5.0 and was telling me that his '04 Heckler rode a whole lot better.....