Quantcast

rear tire rubs frame

Discussion in 'The Shop' started by mnmacd, Jul 10, 2013.

1. mnmacd

mnmacd Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    The issue I have here is when I pedal I see the rear tire hit the left side of the frame it also makes a humming sort of sound.... It occurs more so when going uphill.... I did check the chain and seat stays they seem ok, could it be anything else...

the bike is a Dback response xe....

Please register to disable this ad.

2. blindboxx2334

blindboxx2334 Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    11 / 100
    usually the tire is too big for the frame, or your wheel isnt tru enough.. some frames (esp. older ones), as as friendly with big tires.

its sort of a flip it upside down or put it on a stand, and use common sense.. its really not that hard, just take a peek see and see whats going on back there.

edit:
    now that i also think about it, your dish could be off too. you can also eyeball that when youve got your bike upside down or in a stand

#2 -   Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  3. IH8Rice

IH8Rice I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!

Rep/Likes:
    62 / 485
    check your qr (if you have one) to make sure the axle is seated in the frame properly

4. mnmacd

mnmacd Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

Its.the same tire i bought the bike with. :ve ridden it three times since it came back from dicks sporting goods. 1st and 2 nd day it was fine, 3rd day it started rubbing and i parked it in the garage..

5. CarterCrew

CarterCrew Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I have a similar problem with my bike, what I found (and haven't fixed yet) is a broken axle tube. Mine only rubs when cranking hard on a climb.

I took the wheel off on the trail (quick release) and I could pull the tube ends apart enough to see the bearings. When I put it back together I set the gear side back further so the wheel was almost rubbing on that side, now when cranking hard it has to pull the wheel that much further before it rubs the frame.

I guess I should replace the axle but the bike shop I took it to was more interested in selling me a new wheel or a new bike.

6. Mike87

Mike87 Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Did a spoke break? If it did, your wheel will not be true and the tire may rub.

7. trailbildr

trailbildr Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Take it to a proper bike shop and have them dish the wheel over, replace the broken axle (if they know how to do that anymore) or buy a new wheel.

Welcome to mtn biking. Stuff breaks.

mk