Quantcast

rear wheel hopping with hayes disc brakes?

animal 52

Chimp
Aug 23, 2002
I've heard that rear wheel hopping on a bike with disc brakes will cause the rotors to snap. Any truth in this?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
There have been cases of calipers ripping off frames or breaking frames since they were designed to have the force going the opposite way. Never heard of a rotor going, but i suppose it's possible since they have a rotation direction.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have seen a rotor fail before. its the same reason the frames fail and that they are designed to only have a high load in one rotational direction. most of the time though the frame will fail before the rotor will

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Hayes rotors along with most others have a pattern that swoops toward the rotational direction. The result of this is that the legs supporting the braking surface are put in compression. All metals are stronger in compression than in tension, this includes stainless steel.

A rotor failure seems plausible under reversed load, but I tend to agree with the replies before me. The frame is a much weaker link in this chain.

psyber_0ptix

Chimp
Jul 15, 2006
Changleen said:
Most trials disc frames seem to have a bit of reinforcement aroud that area now.
not only reinforcement, but the mounts that i've seen are relocated to the inside of the chain stay, no longer welded -wish the best luck- tabson the outside of the geometry. that way the force is working against the rear triangle as opposed to just the weld.

still, maggie hs33's are powerful rim brakes. but i guess rim fetigue is always a more painful (to wallet) issue.