Quantcast

Reason #1 you don't block fire hydrants

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
they mentioned on the radio this morning, they almost removed the door to help prevent the kinking of the hose. missed opportunity.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
I'm actually surprised they didn't break the windows, loop a fire hose through the windows, attach it to back of a fire truck, drag it out of the way, extinguish house fire, set jack fvck's car on fire, return to station.

But I do bet if it didn't have another car so close to it, they would've just pushed it out of the way with a fire truck. Or hell, pretend like you're a mob of rioting Canucks fans and just tip it over.

Last edited:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
The sad part is some scum bag lawyer will take the case and the fire dept will have to replace the car and pay the owner for mental anxiety and stress
They'll try, but I bet they'll fail. Quite a precedent for doing this to cars in front of fire hydrants. I was amused that it was another BMW, as I thought it was going to be a repost of this old photo:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
They'll try, but I bet they'll fail. Quite a precedent for doing this to cars in front of fire hydrants. I was amused that it was another BMW, as I thought it was going to be a repost of this old photo:

very rarely do courts NOT side with the fire dept in cases like this. the car was preventing them from doing their job, they made a solution. end of story.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
If I was the FF running that hose I'd not pay extra attention to not scratch the crap out of the body, too.
Looking at the angle of the hose and the pressure those things are under, I can't imagine there not being additional damage to the door frame on either side of the car. Plus they still need to reel that hose back in. I doubt that was done gently. So yeah, hopefully the car is now totaled.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Actually, if you open up the full sized pic, you can see the rear quarter panel under the window is completely caved in. It was hard to tell what was a crease and what was a reflection in the smaller version.

I approve.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Actually, if you open up the full sized pic, you can see the rear quarter panel under the window is completely caved in. It was hard to tell what was a crease and what was a reflection in the smaller version.

I approve.
I didn't see that the first time. :rofl:

I am guessing that's the last time they park like that.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Luckily my parents were wise enough to move out of there as soon as they could when I was still a kid. I think of how drastically different my life would have been if they hadn't and it boggles my mind. (Mountain bike....what's that?)

One of my little league coaches worked for Massport, though.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
MY guess is the car would have been fully destroyed if it had been owned somebody other then a cop or fireman. Since only off duty cops and or firemen would be the only ones with the balls big enough to park a BMW in front of a hydrant or has the money to own a BMW in East Boston. I have never parked anywhere in East Boston and not gotten a ticket, so I think it is safe to assume that it is nobody from East Boston as they all know that the only thing more expensive then parking in front of a hydrant fine ($100) is parking in a Handicapped zone ($250) and since you have a parking permit as a resident why would you need to block a hydrant??

Last edited:

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2014/04/hydrant_violation_at_fire_scene_a_measly_100_fine

The BMW driver who parked beside an East Boston fire hydrant — and drew social-media scorn after firefighters smashed the windows to hook up a hose and battle an eight-alarm blaze one block away Wednesday night — was tagged with a measly $100 ticket for what officials called a “stupid” but rare mistake.

Meanwhile, an insurance expert said the car owner most likely won’t even have to go out of pocket to replace the glass or fix the water damage.

“The insurance of the vehicle would cover the breakage of the glass, regardless of the source,” said Michael P. Larrick, a claims professional with more than 40 years experience. “The insurance company could try to recover against the fire department, but the indiscretion of parking in front of a fire hydrant is going to wipe out any recovery.”

A Herald photographer posted a photo of the beamer on Trenton Street and its blown-out windows on Twitter; the fire department retweeted it — and so did 1,500 other users, with comments including “Break the law, and the law will break your car windows.”

The Lexington Street fire, which broke out just two weeks after a nine-alarm blaze in the Back Bay that killed 
Lt. Edward J. Walsh Jr. and firefighter Michael R. Kennedy, caused an estimated $750,000 in damage, left two firefighters with minor injuries and displaced about three dozen residents from three buildings. It started with an engine fire from an SUV.

Boston fire spokesman Steve MacDonald said the BMW’s driver should have known better, but that a higher fine probably wouldn’t have prevented the ill-conceived parking job.

“It’s just something you don’t do,” MacDonald said. “The money, I don’t think, is a deterrent to anyone. Sometimes people do stupid things.”

Firefighters smashed the windows to connect a 4-inch-thick feeder hose from the hydrant to an engine, MacDonald said. Running the hose over the car would have caused it to kink. Even with the hose running through the windows, a crew of firefighters and bystanders had to grab the car by the bumpers and nudge it about a foot and a half to improve the flow of water.

A neighbor said he saw the driver sitting on the curb near his battered car clutching his face in his hands. Attempts to reach the BMW owner were unsuccessful.