Quantcast

Reba for Dirt Jump use?

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
Hey all y'all, whaddya think about a Reba for Dirt Jump use?

Will it be too light for a beginning Dirt Jumper? Will I twist it up the first time I come up short?

I have a hub that I want to build a wheel around (a Onyx QR, non-20mm) and want to avoid buying a hub.

Your expertise is appreciated!

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I have seen it be done. I think the Reba is a really solid fork. I look at it as a Pike without the 20 MM and just a little smaller stanchion size. Go for it!

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Not if you're a Beginning dirt jumper, that probably means you'll be overclearing landings, caseing jumps etc. etc. If you were experienced, and really smooth it'd be great, but if you're not, I would go for something a little more solid.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
if i had had that anywhere in the first 4 months i rode it would have broken

actually i would probably break it now, but thats just me...i crash alot

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
i saw a dude over shoot a stepdown double with one and it broke, he was truckin tho , it was 4x so not quite the same as dj, but it put me off em

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
scurban said:
Not if you're a Beginning dirt jumper, that probably means you'll be overclearing landings, caseing jumps etc. etc. If you were experienced, and really smooth it'd be great, but if you're not, I would go for something a little more solid.
Any suggestions on somethin' more burly that has a standard QR drop out?

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have to say the community at ride monkey is leaps and bound better than any MTB site I have been on in the past. If I were to ask this same question, say on mtbr.com, You get nothing but "gawd you're a dummy" attitudes or flame wars 'bout all kinds of gay shizzy.

Thanks again! :thumb:

cowboy-jeff

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005
Basel Switzerland
teambender said:
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have to say the community at ride monkey is leaps and bound better than any MTB site I have been on in the past. If I were to ask this same question, say on mtbr.com, You get nothing but "gawd you're a dummy" attitudes or flame wars 'bout all kinds of gay shizzy.

Thanks again! :thumb:
I couldn't of said it better myself :thumb: ! I agree!

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
well, I say a guy at the gathering going really big on one. It is a super stiff fork.
I look at it as a Pike without the 20 MM and just a little smaller stanchion size.
the pike and the reba both have 32mm stantions. the reba however has a smaller crown, so not quite as strong. But if you're starting out, weather that means starting out doign doubles, or you're just doing the rythem section at your local spot. It could work just fine. If I wasn't rocking my curren tricked out '02 dj1, I'd have either a pike or a reba. but thats just my opinion.

if you're going to get a marzocchi dirt jumper, I'd wait for the '06 ones. 7 pound dirt jumping fork is just stupid. I'm sorry, but I think its just stupid heavy. not worth it at all

Brooce

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
Hi :)

Sorry for refreshing the topic, but times have changed, forks have been improved...

I'm considering buying the 2009 Reba Race. It will be an allround-fun fork - mainly for some beginner 4x (I mean beginner in racing, not in jumping/riding tracks like that), but I won't avoid some dirts or step-ups if there is an opportunity (without greater tricks, though). Do you think it's strong enough?
I'm dreaming about QR20 version (but its hard to get in my country so it will probably be 9mm)

Cheers :D

poekie

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
Hi :)

Sorry for refreshing the topic, but times have changed, forks have been improved...

I'm considering buying the 2009 Reba Race. It will be an allround-fun fork - mainly for some beginner 4x (I mean beginner in racing, not in jumping/riding tracks like that), but I won't avoid some dirts or step-ups if there is an opportunity (without greater tricks, though). Do you think it's strong enough?
I'm dreaming about QR20 version (but its hard to get in my country so it will probably be 9mm)

Cheers :D
as said, it depends on how smooth you ride.

I know lotsa people using these for pumptrack/trails/4x but I've also seen some broken ones on the internet..

I'd say go for it as long as you don't case too hard and often/land flat and dont need to bail too often.