Quantcast

Reborn Rider 29er and my Bike named Clementine

Hello folks. The trajectory is locked in, so here comes the Cow.

In recent years I was fortunate to co-pick my new home to move to. My wife had accumilated her degree and work skillsets in Emergency Nursing and we were shopping for a new place to call our own. In the Summer of 2004 we happened to plan out, and 1/2 assly execute a week long trip through Colorado's lower half of the state. After an amazing sunburn to my feet and legs from walking the Great Sand Dunes, we wound up spending the rest of our time in Durango.

Little did we know we were shopping for a new place to live. But while spending the remainder of the week in and about Durango we had made a decision. Sitting outside Durango Bagel on a brisk August morning, slurping coffee and gnoshing, we made the decision to move (our first time) from our hometown of Lawrence, Kansas (GO KU!) to Durango, Colorado.

It's been a great ride, but time to step it up a notch.

After many years away from actively biking, I had recently found myself needing a hardcore past time other than the seasonal skiing. My wife runs and runs well (completed Imogene Pass Run last year, wow!), but my body doesn't like running.

I love bikes and have so since I was sub-6. In the past 5 years I had put that passion on the backburner as we were gearing up for a move outside of Larryville. Now that we are moved, and finally into our first home (in the pines, 8k elevation, a couple of acres running up the side of a foothill, sweet), I can start collecting my adult toys.

So, I got the ok from Financial Control (the Missus) and bought a Motobecane Fantom 29 PRO model in Matte Slate. What can I say other than WHOA! An amazing bike right out of the box. I had to set up the handlebars and the remote fork lockout (all a first for me for I am not a bike tech, but with enough reading, pictures and reasonable space-relations knowledge, I put the gal together). Once done I rode her off the porch and tore around the house and up the mountain, what torque!

For $795 delivered I got an amazing deal, but even the upper level of that bike range still need upgrades and I have invested so far on a pneumatic seatpost to maneuver that seat however and whenever I need to. Eventually I will need to get a new wheelset, something lighter and with excellent All Mountain tires, and thereafter perhaps acquire a quiver of wheels(isn't it how this addiciton goes?).

This is the first 29er I have ever owned or I have ever ridden and I love the experience! Being 5'9", about 180lbs and with an inseam of 30.5 with shoes, I had to get a 15" frame instead of my normal 18" with a 26er. It fits well and rides tight. Easy to maneuver.

Anyways, that's where I have been and where I am at currently. There are many trips planned this year including going to Phil's Place in Cortez some weekend soon and a trip in June to Moab to dick around. I would appreciate any trail input in the 4 corners area from any of you experienced folks.

Well, thanks for reading. I will start to post pics of stock bike, add ons and eventually trip pics. Thanks for being here RideMonkey and crew.Time to go and spin and get my beir on.

Prost! :cheers:
AC