Quantcast

Rebound issues on a shortened LYRIK

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Wondering if anyone can help me trouble shoot some rebound issues I have on a Lyrik Solo air I shortened from 160mm to 140mm. I installed a custom spacer as per instructions and everything seems good, installation wise. I run the fork firm so I can run it on my Wildcard for the 4x track etc. The issue I am having is that when I am close the correct rebound setting it goes from too fast to too slow in 1 click. Feels like I am missing some adjustment. There is also a top out nock when the fork rebounds, at the end of the stroke. I called TF Tuned and they informed me the oil volume remains the same so I am not sure what I could check?

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
You might just have a bad damper. You could drop it by your LBS and have them call up Sram and see what they suggest.

I dropped my fork down significantly further than you and haven't had any issues at all.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I run a Lyrik and have had two bad rebound dampers. The rebound knob became completely stuck. I suspect it has nothing to due with it being shortened.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Ya as everyone else has said, it's almost certainly a problem with your rebound damper - could be faulty parts or even a loose piston.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Not what I wanted to hear. I dont remember an issue before shortening the the travel. Then again I never rode it much as it was no match for my Delerium. Good thing I got a crazy deal on CRC but I dont want to put any money into repairing/replacing it.

I have become comfortable with full tear downs including most of the damper but I havent touch the rebound parts yet. If I can have a fork to run in the lyriks place this could the perfect time to really open up a fork and get stuck into it.

Thanks for the help. First thing I want to do is return it to 160mm and see how it works. Then go from there.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Not what I wanted to hear. I dont remember an issue before shortening the the travel. Then again I never rode it much as it was no match for my Delerium. Good thing I got a crazy deal on CRC but I dont want to put any money into repairing/replacing it.

I have become comfortable with full tear downs including most of the damper but I havent touch the rebound parts yet. If I can have a fork to run in the lyriks place this could the perfect time to really open up a fork and get stuck into it.

Thanks for the help. First thing I want to do is return it to 160mm and see how it works. Then go from there.
how old is it? if its less then 2 years old, you should be able to just get a warranty damper (unless you think you fycked it up). And its worth having a shop (crc, in this case, where you got it from) call sram anyway.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
At a guess I bought it January last year which will make it a 2009/10 model.

I will take the cost for this though. While the fork is mint I first installed a 170mm spring under TF Tuned's advice that the extra 10mm would be no issue for the damper etc. The fork had been unused for about a year and only saw about 5-6 rides before this. After fitting the spring I noticed an oil leak from the top of the damper adjust knobs. I couldnt get the orings I needed and RS does sell seal kits for the damper. I took it back to South Africa with plan to run it as an air shock shortened to 140mm thinking I could find orings there - no luck. So I rane the needle with orings from My Totem in Korea and it worked fine - just the rebound issue.

So you can see I have tried various things with this fork and while it has seen maybe 12-15 rides it has also been sitting unused for a few years.

I dont feel the Lyrik is enough for the Delerium and is perfect for the Wildcard. I dont need much adjustment since its beeing used for jumping only. Just want the rebound sorted. I was mosre concerned I screw up with the spacer install but its pretty hard to screw it up.