Quantcast

Rebound

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I was wondering why some people like their rebound front and rear so slow?
I personally run my front as fast as I can get it without it kicking me back and the rear a little bit slower than the front but really as fast as I can get it for my weight.
I ask this question because I dont see how slow rebound can make the person feel comforable. Shouldnt it feel more rough and uncomfortable because the suspension keeps packing down instead of returning back faster and flowing over obstacles with less stress?

Also I like fast rebound because it helps you to bunnyhop or lift the bike up by compressing before. As in the slow rebound setting the bike feels heavy and just dead.

Whats you opinion about rebound?
How do you usually run yours?
What makes you change your rebound for diferent terrains?

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i don't run my rebound intentionally very fast or slow, i just adjust it to be fast without bucking while jumping or anything. I like my front and rear rebound to be set pretty much equal because i like my bike to feel perfectly balanced. i don't usually change my rebound very much, but if there is a trail that has a particularly huge amount of stutter bumps or high speed successive hits, i'll crank the rebound up a little bit.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Running it slow makes the bike jump better. It makes the jumps more predictable and safer. Some riders aren't interested in overall speed.
So does running more compression - if you're getting bucked off lips it's equally likely that the culprit is a lack of compression rather than a lack of rebound damping.

I run mine fairly fast usually, a bit slower on the back though. There is a point beyond which the faster rebound doesn't do anything but make the bike less stable though... some people run stuff full pogo but that's a bit much IMO.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yes that is true, compression is what should help you jump better than slow rebound. because if you run slow rebound the fork is going to compress to slow of the lip, preventing more travel use. If you run fast rebould it will have time to compress more as you are about to take off. So stiffer compression should take care of too much travel usage on the lip.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I put both feet on the ground and bounce my ass on the seat to set my baseline rebound settings. I quickly push down on the seat and adjust the rebound so it rises at the same rate I do. With that set, I do more low/high speed compression adjustments and may +/- rebound click depending on the trail conditions, but rarely.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I dont really think about it, I just change it to what feels good and generally follows my body when I push down and come back. Then when I'm on the trail if I notice the fork being to slow or fast I'll change it till I'm happy.

I change my rebound and compression a lot though (well, a lot for me...like every ride) so it varries on how I feel that day.