Quantcast

Rebuild Cost for a BMW TMX?

WhozDaMastah

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
Hello Fellow RM's-

Would any of you folks have an idea what the cost would be to restore a well used TMX frame be?

I've left emails and messages at BMW and Superco and I'am still waiting for a reply.

So i thought I'd try to find an answer here.

I'm also wanting a new paint job from them.

Also what has been the turn around time?

Thanks to all those who replies

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
pull it apart yourself & bring it to your friendly neighborhood powdercoat shop. bearings are standard industrial supply items. should be able to have it running and looking like new for not much more than a couple hundred $ if you're crafty.

WhozDaMastah

Chimp
Jul 21, 2010
pull it apart yourself & bring it to your friendly neighborhood powdercoat shop. bearings are standard industrial supply items. should be able to have it running and looking like new for not much more than a couple hundred $ if you're crafty.
But don't you need a special tool to press out the bearings?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But don't you need a special tool to press out the bearings?
a bearing press/puller? some auto parts stores have ones that they will loan/rent out; but they are not always small enough for bike bearings.

call around to powdercoaters - some of them may or may not be equipped with bearing press/pullers.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
You can get a bearing extractor kit for around 90 bucks(like so: http://www.amazon.com/Tusk-Bearing-Remover/dp/B0039L9HC4), and you can improvise a bearing press with some nuts, bolts, washers, and/or sockets. If you don't have any "blind" bearings than you can even use your ghetto bearing press to push out the bearings as well. 90 is a bit steep for a specialty tool that won't see much use, but it's probably still less than the labor your LBS would charge.

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Yeah, just do the bearings yourself and find a powdercoater. Bearing size should be on the bearings themselves or you can measure them. Go to a bearing shop, lbs or just the Enduro website and order some new ones. I have taken out numerous bearings from frames and hubs with standard tools. Taking out sometimes requires some force if you're using a hammer, but you don't have to be too careful as there's not a huge chance of damaging something. To put some new ones in, as long as it fits through the frame some appropriately sized sockets (one that is close enough to the OD of the bearing, or at least not smaller) plus a threaded rod, some nuts and big washers will be just fine and very cheap. As long as you are careful that it goes in straight, it should be fine. You can likely use similar tools to get the bearings out- just press them into a larger socket or whatever fits around them. There's no point in going to superco or bmw for paint. Just find any reputable place with good pricing; there are lots around the country.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Yeah, just do the bearings yourself and find a powdercoater. Bearing size should be on the bearings themselves or you can measure them. Go to a bearing shop, lbs or just the Enduro website and order some new ones. I have taken out numerous bearings from frames and hubs with standard tools. Taking out sometimes requires some force if you're using a hammer, but you don't have to be too careful as there's not a huge chance of damaging something. To put some new ones in, as long as it fits through the frame some appropriately sized sockets (one that is close enough to the OD of the bearing, or at least not smaller) plus a threaded rod, some nuts and big washers will be just fine and very cheap. As long as you are careful that it goes in straight, it should be fine. You can likely use similar tools to get the bearings out- just press them into a larger socket or whatever fits around them. There's no point in going to superco or bmw for paint. Just find any reputable place with good pricing; there are lots around the country.
So you don't think Superco or BMW would be a benefit? Maybe they would check for alignment or for "micro" cracks before painting? That might save the paint job cost, a misaligned ride or failure.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
honestly he already did the best thing, he contacted doc regarding a refurb, he usually continued doing refurbs of the old BMW frames, hope doc will get back to him soon and they can get this sorted.

it's great to see that the old style BMWs are becoming the Patek Philippe of the bike world, they don't break just get a refurb avery few years and the next gen of freaks continues riding them! :D

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
So you don't think Superco or BMW would be a benefit? Maybe they would check for alignment or for "micro" cracks before painting? That might save the paint job cost, a misaligned ride or failure.
This - the frame in question is well used and definitely has a few dents, it's getting some LBS love right now, but If Doc gets his hands on it, it will be a new frame.

petree1987

Chimp
May 29, 2012
dose anyone know the exact spacing for a BMW tmx? i was told it is 12x135mm but my wheel is to wide. it seems like it needs to be a 12x125mm? any ideas. also my drive sprocket and the jack shaft sprocket the one with the small chain, it seems like the sprocket on the jack shaft is the wrong tooth pitch and will not let the chain run correctly on it? any ideas?
Thanks Vince

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
yeah, i lament that a bit. i got good coin for it though (surprisingly good for an 8yr old frame at the time); if it weren't worth much it'd be a wall hanger right now. i'm keeping the carbon beast forever though.
Yeah wish I'd kept a Lahar, same thing but, needed the coin to move on.

dose anyone know the exact spacing for a BMW tmx? i was told it is 12x135mm but my wheel is to wide. it seems like it needs to be a 12x125mm? any ideas. also my drive sprocket and the jack shaft sprocket the one with the small chain, it seems like the sprocket on the jack shaft is the wrong tooth pitch and will not let the chain run correctly on it? any ideas?
Thanks Vince
Should be the same as RaceLink, 135x12mm. BMW can be a bit loose with tolerances, and an old banger could have any tail to tell about the rear getting squashed a tad. I'd just pull the stays apart. You sure every thing's in right?
BMX chain for the shorty.

petree1987

Chimp
May 29, 2012
yea i figured out that the chain was a bmx chain for the shorty. also as far as the hub sizing goes i found that you are to pull the cone cover off the 12x135 hub and just run the spacer. thanks for all your help.

Last edited: