Quantcast

Rebuild problems on my 40

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I took apart my 40 to check everything out since I just got it. Everything went fine except I cant get the damper side stud far enough through the hole in the lowers to get the black 15mm nut to screw onto it. Ive read and reread the fox manual and I dont get what the heck Im missing. Any help would really lower my stress level.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
This may sound silly but I think you just need to pull it out...Take the whole damper assembly out of the fork and make sure its fully extended by holding he top and pulling down on the damper...Put it back in .

You should be fine if you avoid pushing it against the bottom of the fork.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
if you took it all they way apart and pulled the stantions out of the lowers make sure you have the correct stantion on the correct side of the lower. I messed around for a solid 30min one day after a rebuild only to find i had the wrong stantion on the wrong side of the lowers.

i had the exact same problem trying to get the damper rod to extend out of a stantion tube that was to long. the damper stantion is slightly shorter to allow the nut to thread onto the bottom of the damper.

J

Monkey
Dec 7, 2003
San Luis Obispo, CA
There is also a plastic or rubber bottom out washer that floats around inside the lowers when the stanchions are out. Make sure that washer is sitting flat at the bottom of the lowers before you put the stanchions back in.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
So Im back at my fork. I re did everything, and the spring leg isn't in the lowers. The bottom of the damper where the seal is appears to be too large of a diameter to seal into the hole for it in the bottom of the lowers. I had to hit it very hard to get it out in the first place. I tried the suggestions above but it is literally like the machined part that the bottom seal sits in is too large.

I know I sound stupid, but I know what Im doing here and it just wont fit.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I know I sound stupid, but I know what Im doing here and it just wont fit.

Yeah you do ... lol just kidding. I cant quite figure out how the whole got smaller somehow...We need more info to help ,maybe you should post a picture.

So you are saying the compression shaft is there but simply wont fit through the hole, is that it? I know this is going to sound silly again but you are 100% sure the lowers are the wrong way ???

You do know the spring side has a smaller diameter hole right ?

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Yeah you do ... lol just kidding. I cant quite figure out how the whole got smaller somehow...We need more info to help ,maybe you should post a picture.

So you are saying the compression shaft is there but simply wont fit through the hole, is that it? I know this is going to sound silly again but you are 100% sure the lowers are the wrong way ???

You do know the spring side has a smaller diameter hole right ?
I figured it out... Thank god. Or actually my really smart boss did. When I was taking the damper out I twisted it trying to work it loose so I didnt have to hit it. Well that unscrewed the bladder nut thing enough to not give me the right amount of stud.

So now I just have to do the whole bleed thing and reassemble.

Thank you for the help anyway.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I figured it out... Thank god. Or actually my really smart boss did. When I was taking the damper out I twisted it trying to work it loose so I didnt have to hit it. Well that unscrewed the bladder nut thing enough to not give me the right amount of stud.

So now I just have to do the whole bleed thing and reassemble.

Thank you for the help anyway.
Make sure you lock-it that nut ...