Quantcast

Rebuild the Hayes or buy new setup....

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
Ok I am stuck and I need some advice. I recently took apart my Hayes brake kit which is the HFX HD system, which is far out-dated I assume. Basically the system is in need of a full rebuild with master cylinders and caliper rebuilds. This totals about 200 dollars and I am not sure if it is worth it to throw money at this system.

What would it cost to get into a new system, that will get a beginner rider back out to learn and just enjoy riding the trails?

Hope you guys can help!

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Get new.

Specially for what its going to cost for the rebuilds.

Personally I really like teh hayes strokers over the codes, teh Codes are a little over powered, I like the Modulation on the strokers, and they have more than enough power to stop you

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
Being that I am 230 lbs do you think the new strokers will be able to stop me? If so I will be purchasing these from my local bike shop since I want to support the shops in my area. What should I be looking at paying for the strokers?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I weigh 255, they stop be just fine with one finger braking, we have stroker trails in stock for 165 a set.
Looks like the Aces will be about 235ish each, and stay away from the stroker grams... those will stop just fine, but wont hold up in a crash

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey dude,
the avids are probably the best brakes you can buy for the money. Codes come in at 170 each mail order, and I think that includes everything you need...well worth it. If you can afford them, the new saint brakes are superb...great modulation and plenty of power, but they cost quite a bit and you have to buy separate rotors and adapters...which can be expensive or cheap, depending on what you get.

Protip: don't skimp on your brakes. The new brakes that are coming out, like the codes and saints and such, are really good, and the confidence in your brakes can make you a better rider.