Quantcast

rebuild/upgrading my porter

burgerks

Chimp
Aug 15, 2002
eugene these days
Hey all,
(I already did a search)

I need a new wheelset, and cranks, for my porter. I'm not sure I'm going to go to a single speed or not. I'm looking at deetraks and chomoly cranks although I am on somewhat of a budget. now some questions...

For the cranks, how do I know they'll fit? I get lost with the simalarity with BMX chomoly's. I think my porter is a 73. Are profiles worth it?

I'm running an e13/9 spd XT drivetrain right now. The chain line is okay, not great. I'm not sure if I should sell off the e13 and drivetrain and run a single speed or not. Any thoughts?

Would I need a chain tensioner? I know some people run them and some not. How about using spacers?

thanks a bunch
k

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would go Deity cranks on a MTB. It's 73mm compatible and uses a regular BB tool, so on your MTB it'll work better. On my 24 with a mid BB I use Profiles but on that bike I'd use Deity.

I would recommend going SS if possible. Are your dropouts vert or horizontal?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Go SS with a Deity crankset and sproket. The Deity sproket is 9-speed compatible, so you can still run your current chain along with a 9-speed cog.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They're good cranks. You'd be happy with them or Deity but I think Deity is lighter, although the chainring would probably negate that...

So either way, really.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I have a set of Deetraks and they have been great. I also have a set of Atomlab GI dirt wheels on my Giant STP, I have had no problems. I would suggest the Atomlab wheels because they are a bit cheaper.

If you are not planning to ride XC go with the single speed. If you have the money go with some profiles and an e-13 super street, 26t front sprocket and a small cog in the rear. For the profiles you just put them on and forget about them.

Surly has a cheaper single speed spacer kit.