Quantcast

Rebuilding an 888: Walk me through some things

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I need to help one of my friends rebuild his 888. I need some help from you guys on this one.

Here are the problems:
- There's a 2/3" nick in the fork stanchion. Its deep enough to cut into the fork seal, and now its spitting oil like a champ.
- The fork is spitting oil from the nick in the seal.

So what I need to know is:
- Can I fill the nick in the leg with something? Can I use nail polish or JB Weld, then wet sand it down?
- What part number is a seal for an 888 seal kit for an 05 fork?
- What do I need to do to take this fork apart? Is there a thread I can look at?

Thanks in advance for the help.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Wouldn't 2/3" be a big hole?

If it's not a 'hole', you can fill it with nail polish or something like jb weld. There are black adhesives like jb weld or you could die the jb weld black so it matches the stanchions. I found 2500 grit sandpaper on ebay for not much $$. You can find 1500 at a hardware store I think, but finishing with something like 2500 isn't a be a bad idea.

Last edited:

uncle-mofo

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
Waterford, Ireland

Here is a rebuild guide for an 06 66rc2x, it's more or less the same thing for the 05 888, it's a 26mm socket for the top caps ( I think) and a 15mm socket for the foot nuts.

On the nick on the stantion I'd file it down and try and do they nail polish thing, you should be able to buy a new stantion if you're really worried.

You can buy new seals on chainreactioncycles.

Cheers,
David

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
How deep is the nick int eh stantion? If its bad enough to be tearing the seal, it probably wont seal with teh nail polish either, it will help but will probably end up leaking again later. Might be time to just order up a new Stantion tube from Marzocchi, shouldnt be that bad to get.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
two tricks to removing burrs and ridges from a scratch.

The first I found was use one of my wifes nail files/buffer. It looks like a fat popsicle stick with a coarse and super fine grit sandpaper. the finest grit is what I used. I tried to use a couple files but they didn't work as well. the shape of the fingernail file and the flexibility of it was the key.

The second is use a burnish tool, which is a hard smooth piece of steel designed to push the ridges back into the void. (I use this first)

Then I layered Nail polish into the the scratch, buffed with the nail file, paint, buff, repeat until smooth.

if all that doesn't work pull the cartridges and send them to me I need a set for my broken 888r

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
The Marzocchi part number for an 05' 888 Seal kit is #850716. There is only 1 type of 35mm seal (its the same as a shiver or 55). I use a fine sand paper to clean up sharp edges and then polish it up with some special stuff made by 3M. I dont know the name of it but it kinda resembles a sponge. If it is really deep then you can use a few things to fill it just make sure you clean it up really well so you don't make any more sharp edges. Marzocchi seals are really good so as long as the nick isn't sharp at all it should hold oil fine.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
They offer two types of 35mm seals. One kit just comes with a foam ring you let float between the seal and the dust wiper. Soak it in the thickest oil you can find before you install it.

To replace the stanchion, zap the lower footnut off and the top cap off, and pull the cartridge out of the top of the stanchion, pull up the stanchion, pop out the seals, grease up the new seals and pop them in, make sure you drain all the old oil out of the cartridge, drop in stanchion, drop in cartridge, tighten footnut with an impact wrench or drill if you have one, fill with oil, close topcap.