Quantcast

Rebuilding My Rear Derailleur

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
After replacing the cable & housings I was still having problems shifting (Rear) :mad: Then I realized that the main pivot was a bit sticky :eek: Removed from the bike & took it all apart for the first time :confused: Putting it all back together I was having a little bit of a problem, but got it & reinstalled. Something wasn’t right… There was weak spring feel, seemed a bit loose internally :( Removed & took apart & figured out that the main spring’s ends were ever-so-slightly different lengths! :dead: Flipped the spring around, put back together & reinstalled & works great & shifting flawlessly! :cool:

I haven't done that in several years, but when I used to swap in an aluminum pivot bolt, the old XT and XTR derailleurs had two holes you could place the spring into, one for more tension than the stock setting. That's a job you have to put your elbows into to get it right, but you only have to do it occassionally...:monkey:

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
I like to change the tension in my lower jockey on the derailer. But god damn if it is not impossible to put the part where it bolts to the frame back together. The part where the b-screw attaches. That thing angers me.

Brian

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Tip! Clamp a 5mm allen wrench in a vise and place the bolt on that. Then you have two hands to get the spring and b plate on and circlip attached.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
OK, exactly what can be taken apart on a Shimano rear derailleur? I have always thought of it as a unit assembly with the exception of the idler sprockets.J
Well, I've only completely rebuilt my XTR, so not sure about XT, STX/RC or the others...
Besides the sprokets, the main pivot part can be unassembeled, cleaned, re-greased & reassembled without much difficulty (other that what I experenced last week)...:p

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Both the mounting pivot and cage pivot can be taken apart on most derailleurs. On most Shimano derailleurs, cage pivot spring tension can be adjusted by changing which of the two holes the spring goes in. Its obvious once its apart.