Quantcast

rebuilding old school bike?

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
I have a 1987 Mongoose Decade Pro, the frame is in good shape with some slight rust on it. do you think it would be worth buying new parts for it to just cruise it around?

I am talking about new headset with new gyro. new brakes and handles headset cranks etc. how much do you think it would cost to do such a project? Any good sites to where I could price out parts?

Also, can I buy any parts or are there different size head tubes etc? cranks?

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
That bike's going to use a one-inch (threaded) headset. The norm for BMX bikes nowadays is the 1-1/8" threadless type. You can still find such things. If you do a search on ebay or even google for "Old School BMX," you should come up with plenty of options. Also, there's a Yahoo! Group dedicated to Old School stuff, but I don't have a link handy.

Dan's Competition (www.danscomp.com) might have a few threaded headsets left. I know they've got one kind of side pull brake that would be "period correct" for you.

Any cranks would work, but if I were you, I'd just get a set of one pieces from Dan's, as I don't think you'll be doing much burly riding on this thing.

By the way, I had a Decade back in those days... Can you post any pictures of this one?

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Thanks for the advice. i am probably going to start working on it this week. when I get it back up and running I will post some pics.

At one point it was stolen and the guy who took it bypassed the spin tech stem to make it more of a race type bike. he took of the front brake too. I had bought a new bike before I had got this one back and now it has been hanging in the garage for 10 years I want to get it rolling again.