Quantcast

Rebuilding/overhauling an old bike

hellbilly

Chimp
Apr 22, 2013
I have a giant warp ds2 and I love it. It is in need of a crankset and front forks. I figure while I'm at it I might as well rebuild everything. i have some ideas for parts, and my budget is around 500 bucks (spread out over the summer, I'm building a truck too). The first thing I want to get is the crankset so I can keep the thing running.

My questions are,
How stupid of me is it to put money into a ten year old bike?

If I take these cranks and replace the outer chainring with a bash guard, would it be stupid to run it without a front derailleur? I don't shift out of the bottom ring much, and if I had to it wouldn't be too bad to move the chain with my hand.

Best budget wheel build I could do? Want disk up front, rim in the back, and sturdy as hell because I want to try some dirt jumps this summer.

Think I should replace the rear shock? Its working well enough...

Until the crankset fell apart, i was riding it 7 miles a day on 4 wheeler trails behind my house. I like the bike, and I don't see a reason to replace it when the frame is still good and I like it. Is this dumb reasoning? I just feel like, if it hasn't broke yet, it won't brake anytime soon. And if I do wreck it, I'll either rebuild again, or get a new one.

EDIT: Typo, its a giant warp ds3, not a ds2

Last edited:

hellbilly

Chimp
Apr 22, 2013
Believe me, if I had the money to buy a new bike I would, the question is, do I have enough money to buy anything worthwhile? Like I said, this frame hasn't broke yet, so its good enough for me. 500 bucks can upgrade this, but 500 bucks would probably get me a basket case of a bike, and not near as capable as this one has proven itself to be.

So I guess the question is, what bike could I get for 500 bucks that would keep up with this one?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
problem is, for the budget you have you're not going to be able to replace everything you want.

those cranks aren't a bad deal.

this is probably the best you'll do for a set of wheels:

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_200262_-1___202477

I've run rhyno lites for a long time on various bikes, and those are disc wheels. they can handle a decent beating. edit: the rims are v-brake compatible too, so you can run them for now if you aren't able to afford disc brakes this time around.

might be tricky to find a decent fork that doesn't blow half your budget. i'd recommend looking at something used.

Last edited:

hellbilly

Chimp
Apr 22, 2013
The fork is what I'm worried about too, Right now my fork is blown, so whatever I can get for 200 bucks will do for now, there are a bunch of take-offs on ebay, low end ones, suntours, but like I said, I have a blown suntour now, so its not gonna be any worse.

Thumbs up on those wheels. I was thinking about building a set from parts, but they'd probably turn out junk.

And my budget is pretty much in my mind. I'll throw whatever money I have to at it, but I only make it so quick. Worse case I can buy stuff one part at a time. I just want it to go so I can keep riding.

Last edited:

hellbilly

Chimp
Apr 22, 2013
Thanks man, Now I know what to look for. :thumb:

Do you think it would be stupid to paint the frame since I'm going to strip it down anyways? I'm thinking flat green frame and flat black swing arm. Paint is pretty chipped up. I mean, I can deal with it, but itd give me something to do while I try to save up some money.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
So long as you aren't expecting anything fantastic you have nothing to lose painting it. Resale value on the frame is practically nil so you might as well go nuts wih a rattle can and see what you can do. I tried once and it came out okay, I didn't give each coat enough time to dry so the paint was soft.

hellbilly

Chimp
Apr 22, 2013
I'll think about doing it... I really don't know. I don't think it would last real long before it all strips off.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll think about doing it... I really don't know. I don't think it would last real long before it all strips off.
use aircraft stripper, paint will peel right off. hit it with primer, krylon, then clear coat. make sure each coat dries before putting on the next. more durable than you'd think. i did a bmx frame this way and it was better than i expected.

hellbilly

Chimp
Apr 22, 2013
Just got the crankset I ordered. These things are like 1/4 the weight of my old one. I thought I got grips, but I opened it and it was a crank. Holy fricken modern technology.

I had my old fork apart, Turns out it doesn't have seals??? It is like a bushing. Since I spent all my money on cranks, wheel axles, chain, bashring, brake levers, back derailleur, shifter, and some tools I was missing (spoke wrench, crank wrench) I am just going to dump some fork oil in the front suspension and see if I can straighten out my wheels. Next big check should be around 400 bucks at the end of the summer for stacking hay. Figure thats my fork and wheel money. In the mean time, I'm sending my weekly money on my truck. So, it isn't gonna be mint condition for a while yet, but it is ridable!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, the fork on it is what, an RST? you'd honestly be better off with a rigid fork for how poor those kinds of low end forks are put together.

my suggesion: put a wanted ad in the classified section for an old fork. lots of people probably have something in good shape that they'd let go cheap, and you'll probably get something better quality despite being used than a brand new fork for the budget you have.

hellbilly

Chimp
Apr 22, 2013
I'm broke, The wanted ad is gonna have to wait. My truck needs the money worse than my bike does. I just keep telling myself I'll be able to climb hills like nobody else if I can do it with this ****ty fork.

hellbilly

Chimp
Apr 22, 2013
On the swing arm, where the rear of the shock mounts. There are two holes, one high and one low. What happens if I move it to the top hole?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
:stupid:

SUDDEN DEATH BY STRANGULATION!!

Kidding, it's probably to change the angles and overall geometry of the bike. Try it and see if it makes a noticeable difference!

Last edited:

hellbilly

Chimp
Apr 22, 2013
I figured it changed it... I was just wondering how it would react differently. looks almost like it would lift the rear of the bike about an inch.