Quantcast

reccomendations for bigger front tire

i'm currently running a firexc pro 2.1 both front and rear and have been thinking of putting a bigger tire up front to help smooth out the ride a bit and especially help w/ traction during cornering. Any reccomedations? I'm riding mostly dry, rocky and rooty singletrack here in VA.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Nevegal 2.35 hands down.

EDIT, as I supposed I should give you some more info. I like these tires, in this order...

The nevegal is by far the best tire in dry conditions. The 2.35 is beefy, and it sticks to anything. As long as you can keep it dry, it won't let you down... it's a great tire.

Other considerations...
Panaracer Cinder 2.25. Very similar to your Fire XCs, but a bit beefier with slightly more volume. I'm not sure it's beig enough though to really notice any difference on the trail.

WTB Velociraptor (front). Directional, front specific. Great lateral traction... excellent tracking tire. Durable, solid tire. Not sure on the actual size as I haven't ridden mine in a while.

Conti Verticals. Good tire, grips in lots of conditions, but runs very, very small. If you only ride dry stuff, then you don't need an all-around tire like this... though it is a solid performer (even if it is undersized).

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I've always been a fan of a conti vertical pro (2.3) up front. I ride in rooty, twisty east tn/western nc and like it a lot. Its also done me well on trails back home (N.Va). Maxxis makes a tire w/ almost the exact same tread pattern (ignitor I think - 2.3?) as well as most of my ridding buddies have switched over to maxxis advantage.

Just my 2 cents.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i ran a 2.0 specialized adrenaline(the resolution on the website) up front on the mount snow xc course(lots of rocks, roots, and mud) with good results. in a 2.1 or 2.2 it would probably work well. the side knobs are a slightly softer compound so they grip well in corners and on roots and rocks and they have a harder compound in the center for good rolling resistance.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
ive been using the kenda kinetics stick-e 2.35. dont know much about them holdin up in the mud but on just about everything else they have rocked. from loose to hardpack rocky and rooty i like em.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
I live in Waynesboro via C'ville. For the area, I have found the Conti Diesel Protection 2.5 to be an excellent front tire with good volume and decent rolling resistance. Super firm hold on the rockiest terrain (Torrey Ridge) and fast and snappy on the buff stuff (Walnut, Carvin's, Douthat). In the mud....excellent which is rare. Just got to play around and find what feels comfortable to you though.