Quantcast

Reclaiming a way of life

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
Relatively new to these boards; been lurking about a week or so, and hoping to join in on some of the discussions. A little about me ...

Started bike commuting in college for the money savings and became a fanatic. Got my first mtb ( a very well used Fisher Montare ) in 1986, which took my cycling addiction to new levels. Fast forward 3 years and I follow a girl -- now my wife -- to Bellingham, WA where I discover true dirt nirvana on Galbraith, Blanchard and the like.

While there I join the legions of bike obsessed in getting a shop job, where I happily wrench and talk bikes with customers. Bellingham is truly an amazing spot for cycling, both dirt and road. Year around bliss with the caveat of the springtime mud.

Jump to 1998 and my wife can no longer handle the incessant rain and clouds. We move across the mountains where I find local riding that doesn't equal B'ham, but with mountainous epic riding that is as good as it gets within an hour's drive. Work for a ski shop that has added a decent bike dept.

Murphy tosses his wrench into the works in 2001: broken back; 2 back surgeries ( the first went craptacularly ); and the discovery that I've had Lyme disease for several years. Certainly explained some pain episodes in the past. Doctors recommend a casual sedentary life and "take your meds". I do that for the next 5 to 6 years and see no real improvement ... unless one counts shrinking legs and an expanding gut improvement.

I tossed out the recommendations and meds about 6 months ago. I hurt like hell sometimes, but I'm back on the bike and gaining some fitness. Hoping to reward myself with a new ride after the new year -- late winter/early spring'ish. Whenever Christmas is paid off that is :p

So, I peruse the threads at Dirt Rag and Ridemonkey, looking to glean some knowledge on which direction I'll go with the new bike. 29er, full suss, all mtn, freeride; hoping by then I'll have an idea of what my limitations are going to be.

Anyway, a long winded "hola" from me. Hopefully no one's eyes glazed over too much :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Welcome to the Monkey and the 29er forum. Feel free to fire at will with your questions and I'm sure there are a few of us here who will do our best to provide assistance, guidance, opinions etc. etc. Maybe even someone who lives near you who'd be willing to loan their 29er to you for a test ride or two.

So again, welcome and here's hoping you stick around and enjoy your stay! :thumb:

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Welcome. It's nice to see an appropriate intro for a change. I think it should be required.
Lots of good people and information can be found here, you'll enjoy it.
Good luck with the riding and fitness. Hope you have many pain-free miles ahead of you.

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
Thanks for the welcome :D

I'm sure I'll be around for a bit; I know I've already got more than a few questions on 29ers. When I left the scene, Willits, Fisher, and maybe one other builder were starting to talk them up. Looking at where I'll probably be down the road, one of these seems like the best all around machine for me.

That first quote in your sig had me laughing, Potroast. Wonder if he's lived that down yet ? :homer:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Willits is still making amazing frames and forks, Fisher has new G2 Geometry and there are a whole host of others, both big and small, in the 29er game now. Good time to be back!