Quantcast

Recomend me a good pair of headphones

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
My pair of Sony MDR-V600 just died on me. I had no complaints about this set, but I am considering my other options before I buy a new pair.I am looking for a pair that has the following
1: good sound reproduction
2: good high's and low's
3: good bass response
4: comfy
5: long cord
6: loud
7: and decently priced (around $150 max!! I will prolly be purchasing the new set from ebay of newegg, so there are lots of good deals between the two.)

My main uses for these headphones will be listening to music,watching movies and playing games. Noise cancelation is not important to me, considering that mose good quality headphones with large earpads will filter alot of noise.

Any recomendations??

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
sennhieser HD 25 SP

best headphones I've ever used/own3d - do a search & read some reviews. Far better sound than all the sony i've used... and I've used the entire line extensively.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Ask Toshi about Senns but I've always associated them with an above flat stronger treble and bass response so that'd make them seem like what you are after. I use Grados which I really love, but which are often reviewed as having a 'flat' response, i.e. they do not exaggerate any part of the spectrum over the rest. Both have a great sound quality which allows you to hear every part of the sound clearly. There are many other great phones but Senns and Grados are generally consistantly reviewed great.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headphones-home-audio/headphones/grado/PRD_117832_2750crx.aspx

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
wow, i was reading a review on those things, and what can i say.... im very impressed.

btw, i dont need wireless headphones, i have no use for em.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Changleen said:
Ask Toshi about Senns but I've always associated them with an above flat stronger treble and bass response so that'd make them seem like what you are after. I use Grados which I really love, but which are often reviewed as having a 'flat' response, i.e. they do not exaggerate any part of the spectrum over the rest. Both have a great sound quality which allows you to hear every part of the sound clearly. There are many other great phones but Senns and Grados are generally consistantly reviewed great.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headphones-home-audio/headphones/grado/PRD_117832_2750crx.aspx
I've used those extensively as well - great sound - they're open ear... as in they rest on your ear, but not over/around them and don't have any sound insulation (if that's a concern)

really nice sounding headphones.

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
dump said:
sennhieser HD 25 SP

best headphones I've ever used/own3d - do a search & read some reviews. Far better sound than all the sony i've used... and I've used the entire line extensively.
hmm, just stumbled onto this thread. I too am in the market for a new pair of headphones. I've been listening to a pair of borrowed Grados, and like them quite a bit, except for the lack of sound insulation. The Senns look nice, but are out of my budget - I'm looking for something closer to the $100 mark. Any recommendations for that budget?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-580's that absolutely RULE. I wear them for hours and hours at at time and they don't kill my ears like my old Sony's did. Plus the sound they produce is phenomenal. I have tried the Grado's which I find really uncomfortable. I've also compared them to the Senn HD-600's ata lmost twice the price and did not notice any appreciable difference. You need a decent headphone amp to get the best out of them, btu they are good regardless. The only problem is taht I think they have been discontinued so they might be hard to track down. Well worth it if you find 'em though.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
yonton228 said:
do you think that i will need a amp if im runnin them out of my tv, and comp?? i know for a DAP i will prolly have to do sumtin.
No, not necessarily. They work fine without an amp, but they work that much better with one.

The Grados are actually made to be used without an amp (some of them anyway, 60's, 80's and 120's at least).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
rigidhack said:
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-580's that absolutely RULE. I wear them for hours and hours at at time and they don't kill my ears like my old Sony's did. Plus the sound they produce is phenomenal. I have tried the Grado's which I find really uncomfortable. I've also compared them to the Senn HD-600's ata lmost twice the price and did not notice any appreciable difference. You need a decent headphone amp to get the best out of them, btu they are good regardless. The only problem is taht I think they have been discontinued so they might be hard to track down. Well worth it if you find 'em though.
the 600s look nicer and have a carbon frame :D . no, seriously. i think they're functionally the same.

anyway, i have a set of senn hd600 hooked up to a headroom total airhead headphone amp, and that setup sounds swell and a half. however, it's also way over budget: for $100 i'd stick with the sony mdr-v6 (not the v600s that the original poster had, v6). kinda bass heavy but better than the others at that price point imo -- they were what i moved up from.

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
Toshi said:
for $100 i'd stick with the sony mdr-v6 (not the v600s that the original poster had, v6). kinda bass heavy but better than the others at that price point imo -- they were what i moved up from.
hey Toshi, thanks for the recommendation, these appear to be just what I'm looking for. One question though - can I run these directly from an iPod (40 gig, latest generation) or will I need to look for something different. The Grado SR80's that I've been listening to work fine - but they advertise that they'll work with an iPod. I don't know much about headphones, so I'm not sure if that's just marketing, or if the Sonys will be different...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
grundy said:
hey Toshi, thanks for the recommendation, these appear to be just what I'm looking for. One question though - can I run these directly from an iPod (40 gig, latest generation) or will I need to look for something different. The Grado SR80's that I've been listening to work fine - but they advertise that they'll work with an iPod. I don't know much about headphones, so I'm not sure if that's just marketing, or if the Sonys will be different...
the sonys are very easy to drive, and will work just fine on your ipod :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
given that gaming doesn't seem to require the highest of fidelity i don't see any reason why they wouldn't work, either.

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
as long as i can hear people tryin to sneak up on me while playin CS,Unreal, etc etc etc, it should not be a problem. how do the V6 compare to the V600 you think, is it a drastic difference between the two??

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yonton228 said:
as long as i can hear people tryin to sneak up on me while playin CS,Unreal, etc etc etc, it should not be a problem. how do the V6 compare to the V600 you think, is it a drastic difference between the two??
in short, the v600 sucks, and the v6 rules. the v6 is an older design and the choice of many a dj on a budget.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Toshi said:
in short, the v600 sucks, and the v6 rules. the v6 is an older design and the choice of many a dj on a budget.
the v6 is just ok imo... they don't sound as sweet as the other phones listed in this thread.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
grundy said:
hmm, just stumbled onto this thread. I too am in the market for a new pair of headphones. I've been listening to a pair of borrowed Grados, and like them quite a bit, except for the lack of sound insulation. The Senns look nice, but are out of my budget - I'm looking for something closer to the $100 mark. Any recommendations for that budget?
sure, you can pick up the HP-25SPs for less than $100:

http://www.agiprodj.com/detail.php?id=143

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
and I should add, they have a number of other phones @ some of the best prices online (from what I've found)