Quantcast

Recomend me a tire

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
As most know, I am mostly a Mtn/dh rider. But I do love to ride, so I have the roadie. I am looking for a tire to use with the trainer, call me cheap but I dont feel like wearing out My diamonte's and putting wear on my good wheels so I am going to put something on my spare wheel, the one with the crazy ass radial/3x lacing, for using on the trainer. At the same time, I want something that will last and dont feel like spending a fortune.

Feel free to laugh at me, but I just dont know road tires enough.

Edit...Where can I get those Airless things??? Is that the whole tire? or is it like the walmart neverflats?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd just get the cheapest wire bead slick tire you can find. I'd go for a larger tire than normal for a little extra resistance.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You can find cheap wire beat road tires for $10. Airless could be the greatest trainer tire ever but for 6-7 times the price the difference wouldn't be worth it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, I already sent Brian a PM thanking him for changing it. The old one was stale.
You can tell it was Brian, not really funny. Good angle, poor execution.

So as not to totally derail this thread I'd get this tire. Ride the crap out of it and toss it when it is worn out.

linky

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I would say just go to the shop and ask for a relatively cheap tire with a hard durometer. Lots of expensive tires come with multiple layers and different hardnesses for the best of traction v. durability, you don't need any of that. Spare the grief of an extensive search and just go pick up whatever.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I would say just go to the shop and ask for a relatively cheap tire with a hard durometer. Lots of expensive tires come with multiple layers and different hardnesses for the best of traction v. durability, you don't need any of that. Spare the grief of an extensive search and just go pick up whatever.
Agreed. For the trainer, I just keep old road tires that are past their safe/usable life and keep it going. I don't ride on the road quite enough to wear tires to the threads before they get old and cracked, so it works out. For a trainer, pretty much anything will work.