Quantcast

Recomendations for restraunts/sights in San Fran

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
My parents left for San Francisco yesterday and was just wondering if anybody had some must see sights or restraunts that they should go to. I know that they are going to Napa Valley one of the days.

Thanks for any suggestions

Tom

My dad does like sushi so??

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
japantown is a fun place to go, especially for japanese food. other than that i like the berkeley campus, point reyes, and the usual tourist traps. some boring pics from a visit last fall.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
there's a place in the Ghirardelli Square that sells french fries with a bunch of different sauces, and good beer. something around a 10min walk from the piers. our group was donated dinner from this place, http://www.fishermensgrotto.com/ . they've got this frozen lemon desert that is yummy. it's like a lemon freez'r served inside the whole lemon peel.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
bigginsis said:
don't bother with haight ashbury - there's a Gap there. although i did pick up some cool stuff in a head shop there and took a pic of jerry garcia's front door...
about a 15-20 min walk from the Haight is the best beer bar in the world

http://www.toronado.com/

i would suggest a hike through Muir Woods, which is great. the redwoods are staggering. for restaurants, there are so many good ones. i've had great vietnamese food at the Slanted Door, although that was in the earlier location. they've moved and gotten larger once again. we also ate at a great french seafood restaurant called Ploof which was kinda near union sq/SOMA (i think, it's been a while) which was great.

one of the best things about SF is that while the city is very expensive, the restaurant scene is very competitive (and the produce/seafood very fresh), so you can get great meals at a reasoanble price.

of course, it's been a few years since i've been there, and only on vacations, so i'd take the word of local over my experiences.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
bigginsis said:
don't bother with haight ashbury - there's a Gap there. although i did pick up some cool stuff in a head shop there and took a pic of jerry garcia's front door...

Yeah no kidding...it's gotten so bad in just the last ten years its ridiculous. Too many overpriced boutiques...there are still a few cool shops, but it's sad what the yuppies have done to it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
actually, there are two other places in the Haight which i'd highly recommend. Amoeba music, which is the craziest, hugest music store i've ever been to, is a MUST visit if you are a music fan. you can easily drop 100's of dollars there w/o thinking. and the magnolia brewpub brews good beer and has good chow, and it's just down the street a bit.

if you wanna complain about the yuppies and SF, let's talk about the Mission district.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
You could recommend to them the Legion of Honor...the Palace of Fine Arts is cool...have em drive through Pacific Heights...Fort Mason is cool, too. Also, if they like Italian food there are some GREAT restaurants in North Beach. Avoid the newer trendy ones and go to an OLD SKOOL place like Capp's Corner...family style Italian or Bocce Cafe...

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
actually, there are two other places in the Haight which i'd highly recommend. Amoeba music, which is the craziest, hugest music store i've ever been to, is a MUST visit if you are a music fan. you can easily drop 100's of dollars there w/o thinking. and the magnolia brewpub brews good beer and has good chow, and it's just down the street a bit.

if you wanna complain about the yuppies and SF, let's talk about the Mission district.

He said it was for his parents...I doubt (course, I could be wrong) that they would be into going to Amoeba.

And the Mission is not the only place thats infested with yuppies...the entire city is...it's not the same city it was even ten years ago...sad...

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
You have GOT to send them right into the heart of the Tenderloin...some great sights there!

Talked to them on the phone last night and it sounds like they were already there. Took a few wrong turns, and ended up somewhere where they wanted to lock the car doors

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
TSchultz said:
My parents left for San Francisco yesterday and was just wondering if anybody had some must see sights or restraunts that they should go to. I know that they are going to Napa Valley one of the days.

Thanks for any suggestions

Tom

My dad does like sushi so??

This is THE BEST sushi place in SF. Possibly the world ;)

http://www.ebisusushi.com/ But it isn't cheap.

For cheap sushi, try the coolest local Sushi place (for people in the "know")
"No-Name sushi"
It is on Church St. around 15th st. On the west side of the street.

The place has no name sign, no telephone number, only 5-6 tables, and no kitchen. Just a sushi bar. The fish quality is GREAT though, and the portions are DOUBLE the size of other places. If you get Nigiri, an order is 4 pieces, not 2 like in other places. For small rolls, you get 2 instead of 1. They have the best spicy tuna I've had as well.

For a high-class seafood (cooked ;) ), try Aqua.

Other Shi-Shi places include Post Trio, Taddich Grill, Carnelian Room (GREAT view from the top floor of the tallest building in the city)

=[Stinky]=

I like bagels and turkey sandwiches
Sep 9, 2001
Atlanta YEAAAHHH!
China town rules... We toured a little hole in the wall fortune cookie shop. We were just walkin down the street, and there it was. We got a bag of 200 fortune cookies for like 5 bucks... Just a bunch of old asain women in front typewrites, and little heat press ovens. This was a while ago... cant remember specifics.

China town was the coolest part of SanFran im my opin. You can tour alcatraz.. but make sure you book way in adavance. You can also take tours of the bay, under the bridge. I would suggest a drive down to Montery, to goto the aquarium... Which is just awesome. Montery was beautfiul... Drive along the Pacific Coast Highway and look at the ocean on one side, and the HUNORMOUS houses on the other side of the road.

Andrew

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
-BB- said:
lol...
You know TORONADO?

I LIVED at Toronado!

I used to bring in some of my Home Brew for the bartenders, and they would hook me up with a few belgains.
:drool:
i found the place on i think my 2nd visit to the city, and it's on the must-visit list each time i make it back to SF. great place.

i ate at the Taddich too. good place. the dungeness crab was outstanding. :drool:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dh girlie said:
He said it was for his parents...I doubt (course, I could be wrong) that they would be into going to Amoeba.

And the Mission is not the only place thats infested with yuppies...the entire city is...it's not the same city it was even ten years ago...sad...
Uh, that's not totally true. My sister had a major problem with the homeless when she lived on Guerrero and Cesar Chavez. There are still blocks which are junkie/hooker central. And Mission Street is still majority Mexican.

Valencia is teeming with the Yuppie bastards. But my favorite bar is there, Zeigeist. It is the only bicycle (and motorcycle) friendly bar that I know of.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
sanjuro said:
Uh, that's not totally true. My sister had a major problem with the homeless when she lived on Guerrero and Cesar Chavez. There are still blocks which are junkie/hooker central. And Mission Street is still majority Mexican.

Valencia is teeming with the Yuppie bastards. But my favorite bar is there, Zeigeist. It is the only bicycle (and motorcycle) friendly bar that I know of.

How long ago was THAT? Trust me...the city definitely has it's large homeless and ghetto pop, but it's teaming with Yuppies all over the place...

Zeitgeist...fun place! :thumb:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
=[Stinky]= said:
China town rules... We toured a little hole in the wall fortune cookie shop. We were just walkin down the street, and there it was. We got a bag of 200 fortune cookies for like 5 bucks... Just a bunch of old asain women in front typewrites, and little heat press ovens. This was a while ago... cant remember specifics.

China town was the coolest part of SanFran im my opin. You can tour alcatraz.. but make sure you book way in adavance. You can also take tours of the bay, under the bridge. I would suggest a drive down to Montery, to goto the aquarium... Which is just awesome. Montery was beautfiul... Drive along the Pacific Coast Highway and look at the ocean on one side, and the HUNORMOUS houses on the other side of the road.

Andrew
I love the aquarium in monterey...they had for a short period of time this awesome seahorse exhibit...they were so CUTE...there were some really teeny tiny ones...like an inch long...soooo cute! And the jelly fish exhibit kicks ass...if you like to fry that'd be a cool place to visit while under the influence! They also have some or a (can't remember) hammerhead shark(s) and they have apparently been keeping alive in captivity a young female great white...

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
sanjuro said:

Mission is seedy, Yes.. but one block over on Valencia it is yup central.

Gurrero and Army (Cesar Chav) may have some homeless people, but again, go up a block on Gurerro and the houses cost a half mill.

:nopity:

The city IS getting gentrified. There is no doubt about that. :nuts:

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
-BB- said:
Mission is seedy, Yes.. but one block over on Valencia it is yup central.

Gurrero and Army (Cesar Chav) may have some homeless people, but again, go up a block on Gurerro and the houses cost a half mill.

:nopity:

The city IS getting gentrified. There is no doubt about that. :nuts:
Thank you, thats quite possibly one of the only intelligent things you've said by far...:p :D

And are you HIGH??? Half a mil? you can't touch property in SF for LESS than a mil...

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
narlus said:
about a 15-20 min walk from the Haight is the best beer bar in the world

QUOTE]

The best bar in the world is right on Haight street, the Zim Zam! Apparently, the original owner was quite a crank, and routinely ejected people he didn't like the looks of. It was a sort of achievement to get him to serve you a martini, I guess. Now it's run by a Scottish guy (I think) who's a bit nicer, and he's kept everything intact. Funny old bar, lots of character.

Also, get a burrito in the Mission District. Awesome street food at the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. There's a sushi restaurant is Sausalito that will blow you away. I absolutely love S.F.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i 2nd the Mission burrito call. unfortunately, they were out of tongue when i ordered.

i forget the name of the bar we were at prior (across from the makeout club?), but mark eitzel was there, hanging out.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
dh girlie said:
Thank you, thats quite possibly one of the only intelligent things you've said by far...:p :D

And are you HIGH??? Half a mil? you can't touch property in SF for LESS than a mil...

That is not true...
Our friends just bought a "HUGE" 900 square feet 1br on 22nd and Folsom for $550,000.
:think: :blah:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
narlus said:
i 2nd the Mission burrito call. unfortunately, they were out of tongue when i ordered.

i forget the name of the bar we were at prior (across from the makeout club?), but mark eitzel was there, hanging out.
Makeout ROOM, not club.

The best burrito's are at Cancun (19th and Mission) or Panch Villa (16th @ valencia) or its sister place El Toro on the corner of 17th and Valencia.
IMO at least...

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
narlus said:

The Zim Zam is a tiny place. Semi-circular bar that takes up most of the main room, red vinyl, sort of a Persian theme. I didn't really get scope out too many interesting local bars, as we were staying on a houseboat in Sausalito.

Also, this time of year, the elephant seals are mating on Ano Nuevo, a point south of the city. They're worth seeing. On our way down there, I met Aaron Peters and his then-prototype VPP-Free at a random roadside restaurant.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
dh girlie said:
have you ever eaten at La Canasta, BB? its now off of Union...near the Pasta Pomodoro...It was like one block up from Greenwich and just offa Steiner just by the bike shop there...

Nope... Good I assume?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Cha Cha Cha is always stop one on any visit to San Francisco for me. The orginial is on the end of Haight a block before golden gate park. Another is on Mission but I've never been to that one. Its a Caribbean resturant mainly.

Excellent excellent excellent food and sangria. Get a few of the Tapas. The maduros, cajun shrimp, and jerk chicken are my favorites. But I've never had a single thing I wouldn't eat again. The ceviche, yuca con mojo and the Bistek Encebollado are also fantasitic.

I can't emphasize enough how good it is. Eat there you won't be disapointed.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
DRB said:
Cha Cha Cha is always stop one on any visit to San Francisco for me. The orginial is on the end of Haight a block before golden gate park. Another is on Mission but I've never been to that one. Its a Caribbean resturant mainly.

Excellent excellent excellent food and sangria. Get a few of the Tapas. The maduros, cajun shrimp, and jerk chicken are my favorites. But I've never had a single thing I wouldn't eat again. The ceviche, yuca con mojo and the Bistek Encebollado are also fantasitic.

Oh I love going to CHA CHA CHA...not cuz of the food...cuz I like to say...CHA CHA CHA!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
dh girlie said:
Oh I love going to CHA CHA CHA...not cuz of the food...cuz I like to say...CHA CHA CHA!
That is EXACTLY why my wife and I went there the first time we were in San Francisco together in '92. It was in Fodors and we got a kick out of saying it and decided to stop in.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
DRB said:

Yeah... I love that place.
There is another location on 19th and Mission ST.
Same food, but not as crowded.

There is a Senegalese place next door called Baobab that is awesome.
They make these CRAZY mixed drinks with Hybiscus, ginger, and lime.
The food is great too.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
-BB- said:
There is a Senegalese place next door called Boabo that is awesome. They make these CRAZY mixed drinks with Hybiscus, ginger, and lime. The food is great too.
A customer of mine was telling me about a place called Keur Baobab. Said it was African on 19th. Same place? Said it was excellent. We are planning on going when we are out there this year. Mentioned the tamarind margaritas.