Quantcast

Recomendations for restraunts/sights in San Fran

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
DRB said:
A customer of mine was telling me about a place called Keur Baobab. Said it was African on 19th. Same place? Said it was excellent. We are planning on going when we are out there this year. Mentioned the tamarind margaritas.
Baobab
Address: 3388 19th St, San Francisco, CA 94110
Phone: (415) 643-3558

They have two locations within a half block of each other.
The one on 19th (of 19th and mission) is a kinda hut-looking place. It is a bit smaller, and was the original location.

The new place (on Mission @ 19th) is in a more "regular" looking location, although there is a cool back-yard deck area. I think that both have the same food, and I know both have the same kick-arse drinks.
There is a menu of about 8-9 unique drink creations.
:thumb:

Try the peanut Chicken. :drool:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
We took a trip there last summer. I thought it was very fun as well did my girlfriend.

We ate and walked around in Chinatown. We went to one of the fancier looking chinese places to eat, was a upstars building on a corner. I got beef friend rice but there was no beef! It might just be how they made it but it was much different than chinese food here in town. We walked around more than we wanted to eat there. If you go to the end of Chinatown you end up in little italy and greek ville and nudie ville. It's definately a trip to see how many places are all stuffed within a block or 2 of eachother.

We went to alcatraz (duh) it's like one of the bigger things to see there. Also went down the Lombard street (yeah yeah) tourist things. Walked around alot in whatever that square is where all the Gucci places are. Our hotel was like 30yrds ouside of the shopping district.

Food wise we were on a budget, ate Quiznos :) a couple times, had a very nice desert at the Ghirdili place, ate at Hooters, and ate a a very very good steak place called......Alfred's steak house. That was probably the best dinner I've ever had (no joke) Super good service, stiff drinks, and excellent foods.

You just basicly have to get out and walk around, ride the trolly (it's cheaper than parking and less stress than driving) and just see things. We were there for 3 days and it was awsome. I'd go back again anytime :)

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
dh girlie said:
That guy is SUCH a f**king tool...I can't stand bush man...Oh yeah...gee you scared an unsuspecting tourist...heres some money! Go get a job, LOSER!

Hahaha, they were at the Fishermans Wharf and told me they saw that guy jumping out and scaring people. I'll have to tell them that he's one of the towns greatest attractions.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dh girlie said:
How long ago was THAT? Trust me...the city definitely has it's large homeless and ghetto pop, but it's teaming with Yuppies all over the place...

Zeitgeist...fun place! :thumb:
I think our perspectives differ. I have gathered you live outside of SF (but I could be wrong). I live in the Mission.

When I ride around in the daytime, I see the regular people buying food and getting on the bus. In the evening, I smell the bums at the Bart station along with the rest of the evening commute.

Tonight (Friday), I did notice all the bars and the multitudes of Yups hanging outside. But I am usually in bed on the weekends (hard to ride when you stay up late).

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Not exactly an attraction for the food, but the Alcatraz tour was pretty cool. I wasn't too keen on doing it, but my wife wanted to. So we went.... and you need the headset thing that guides you through. It's kinda creepy. The tour thing says stuff like "Ya see that scar in the concrete in front of you? That's where the marines blew the crap out of some guys strying to escape....like, right THERE....5 feet in front of you".

Well worth doing IMO......

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
-BB- said:
Makeout ROOM, not club.

The best burrito's are at Cancun (19th and Mission) or Panch Villa (16th @ valencia) or its sister place El Toro on the corner of 17th and Valencia.
IMO at least...
imo the best burritos are @ the original El Castillito on Church & Market ...
and I've sampled tons of them... it was a mission of mine some years ago.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
-BB- said:
For cheap sushi, try the coolest local Sushi place (for people in the "know")
"No-Name sushi" It is on Church St. around 15th st. On the west side of the street.
The quality of this place has gone downhill over the last few years... either that or i'm far more picky about my sushi... not sure which.

-BB- said:
For a high-class seafood (cooked ;) ), try Aqua.
ditto.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Personally i've never been interested in the usual tourist traps... The contrived nature of everything at fisherman's warf & the like only irritate me.

I'd suggest checking out the view of the city from Twin Peaks. Walking/Biking through Golden Gate Park (Japanese Garden, Stowe Lake, windmill, etc) all the way to Ocean Beach & then checking out Sutro Baths & on to the Presidio & GG Bridge... Chrissy Field, Palace of Fine Arts/Exploratorium...
Japantown is cool too... there's a "mall" there w/ Bookstore, Food & other interesting shopping.

If you dig indian food, there's a great (new) Pakistani joint on Haight & Webster named Rotee.. best Indian food in town... (both voted by citysearch & verified by the patrons)