Quantcast

recomendations for shoes in large sizes

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
my bike should be here soon, now I need to get some shoes. it's coming with shimano spd 515 pedals. my feet are kind of wide, i usually don't fit into nike and addidas shoes when trying them on in the store. so i'm looking for recomendations for shoes that also come in wide widths. the only ones i've found so far are Lake MX220. they seem decent and aren't too expensive, $100. that's about the most I want to spend.

any help is really appreciated

Thanks
Dan

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I have big and wide feet i have the largest M221 that shiamno makes 49 i think and they're great but they cost 169$ i think the extra money would be well worth it.

I bought a pair of '03 Specialized Sport MTB shoes recently. You didn't say what size you need - I think Specialized go up to a 48. I have a wide foot, and have found the Specialized shoes to fit me nicely (I wear a 47).

The Sport MTB shoes retail for about $70, with the Comp at $100 and the Pro at $150. I tried on the Sport and Comp, but found the Sport to have a wider, more comfortable fitting.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
In US sizes I take a 10.5-11 usually so I think I'm looking at 45 or 46 in euro sizes. I'll start looking into the specialized shoes. Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

gorgechris

Monkey
Mar 25, 2003
Traveling the eastern U.S.
Originally posted by dfinn
In US sizes I take a 10.5-11 usually so I think I'm looking at 45 or 46 in euro sizes. I'll start looking into the specialized shoes. Thanks guys. Much appreciated.
Not sure if you're still out there, but I would also recommend the Sidi Megas. I'm a 10.5 EE US, and they are about the only shoes that fit, especially in the winter when I am wearing SmartWool socks and waterproof liner socks.

Yeah, I know, they are expensive, but they are so worth it. Here in the NW, about half the riders wear them. Great for MTB, work for cyclocross, and are still enough for road riding and commuting. The only disadvantage is the soles are slippery plastic, but, hey, you're supposed to be riding, not walking! Even then, I've hiked out five mile on them.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Sidi Dominator Megas are a really good option. They work well for larger riders. Also, when you talk about trying on Nikes and Adidas did you mean regular shoes or cycling shoes? I don't have particularly wide feet but Nike running shoes always seem to small and narrow with too high an arch. However, I am on my 3rd pair of Nike cycling shoes and they are much better. I currently use Ligures (carbon sole, 2nd from the top model) and like'm

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
thanks for all the suggestions guys. i went down to my lbs and tried on a couple. I ended up getting a pair of shimano shoes. probably not the best out there but they fit me perfect and were well below what I was expecting to spend.