Quantcast

Recommend an online store...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
First, let me say that I buy 99.7% of my stuff from my LBS, they're great!

But, since I'm bored at work, I've been pricing out a build for my new frame at different sites to see who has the best pricing. Here's who I have thus far...

Airbomb
Supergo
Beyond Bikes
Price Point
Performance
Jenson
Universal Cycles
Cambria
Go-Ride
Bikeman

Who else should I check out? Any ideas?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Alfred E. Bike - It can take a bit longer sometimes to get stuff from AE Bike since they don't stock many of the items in their extensive onlilne catalog and order it from QBP when you place your order but their service and prices are great.

Speedgoat - Very dependable and great selection. Most prices quoted on their website include standard shipping.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I've had good luck with Jenson, all my my friends have too. Instant rice match system is great, but inventory is slipping. When I went to order Speed Dial 7 levers, they didn't have them, at all.

Price point was good but the're slipping lately and have screwed up two of the last three orders I gave time. The latest one, I ordered Avid Speed dial 7 levers, and received a bag marked speed dial 7 , but contained FR5 levers.

Performance Bike . First part of the Unholy trinity. What to say?

When you can use a coupon, and they frequently have them, and especially when you can also get price match is great. They'll give you both on the same order. On the downside you have to trust them, give them the order sign your life away and hope they'll come through with the price match. After the irritation with Pricepoint I ordered a set of Juicy 7's for about half of list due to a price match and coupon, and they'll be here tomorrow.

On the other hand I ordered a polar CS200 and every week or so they set the ship date back by a week. After two weeks called on the telephone, and they said it would be at least three more weeks so I canceled. According to them the stock on the website is updated manually everynight.

Supergo, second part of the unholy trinity. Usually O.K., prices pretty good if you have a coupon.

Cambria - Too many people have had bad experiences. I won't detail all the problems, since I don't use them.

I buy most of my parts online or at the local Supergo. I stopped taking my bikes into shops (and buying parts from shops) when bikes started coming back in worse shape than they went in, more often than not. I figured if I was having to spend my time fixing a bad mechanics work, the shop that F***ed up my bike wasn't getting my money. When I buy a bike I don't take it in for the 30 day tune up.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Definitely speedgoat. Their selection isn't always the best (good luck finding a manitou fork there), but their prices include shipping. And they have a pretty slick script that lets you plug in all the parts and it gives you back a total price and final weight. I don't think they deal with Titus so you'll have to approximate the frame weight, but it's still pretty cool.

And to top it all off - their customer service kicks ass!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I used speedgoat for this

And pricepoint for the shifters/brakes.

Both were great.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
How about throwing a little love to WebCyclery.com? They DO sponsor The Lounge. :)
I just checked out WEBCYCLERY.COM! Great stuff over there at WEBCYCLERY.COM!!! ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions people! After working up a build from all the above mentioned sites, only 3 of them had EVERYTHING I wanterd to order, and of those 3, they all came within $100 of each other. Based on that fact, I picked my favorite based on ease of navigation on the site and "additional features" (ie; fit guides, online custom wheel-builders, etc.).

The winner is Speedgoat. :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
McGRP01 said:
The winner is Speedgoat. :)
I've used them before and I'm very happy wiht them - thus my previous recommendation. They are located in PA, so shipping times are usually pretty short, which is another plus in their column.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Speedgoat will also get just about anything you can think of they just choose not to stock it or display it on their website... Profile Cranks, Manitou forks etc..I have had some unusual wheels made there too...