Quantcast

Recommend me a beer

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hi friends
I'm on the hunt for a new "generic trash" beer that I can drink without paying much thought to it. I'm getting tired of microbrews costing $4.99 a can, and it seems like there's that or budweiser these days. I'm looking for something in between, honestly as close to cheap and disposable as possible but something that doesn't remind me of when I threw it up in a TGI Friday's second stall from the left.

Anyways, I'm looking for a german Helles lager. Goals are cheap and not special order. My palate is not refined enough to taste the difference between German Helles blindfolded, but I can taste the difference between a bitburger and bud so that's what I'm going with.

Any suggestions? I've had Tucher, Bitburger, Weinerstainer, most of the commonly available ones. I like weinerstainer (and others) but paying $12 for a sixer puts me into "I coulda had a microbrew" territory. The Tucher and Bitburgers come in a little cheaper for a 4 pack.

Don't get me wrong, I will always occasionally want something different and better, but I'm looking for the "Dad always has coors light in the fridge" kind of beer.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Hi friends
I'm looking for the "Dad always has coors light in the fridge" kind of beer.
Sounds like you answered your own question there!

Or maybe splurge for some Busch light?

I saw a guy carrying an 18 pack of Rolling Rock down the street yesterday, maybe that's what your looking for?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Googling cheap Lager and PBR comes up as the first result. It is cheap, and lager like and beer snobs often rate it as the best cheap beer, I kind of agree.

Out here this would be my choice, a nice hydrating sports beer.

1670810557012.png

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
not sure if you can get it up there but sly fox makes a decent helles lager
The goal is cheap and drinkable...there are great helles lagers out there, and if I needed great, I'd probably do von trapp or jack's abbey...but I'm looking for like a genuine german garbage beer, or something.

looks like tucher or paulaner are they. Maybe a bitburger

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The goal is cheap and drinkable...there are great helles lagers out there, and if I needed great, I'd probably do von trapp or jack's abbey...but I'm looking for like a genuine german garbage beer, or something.

looks like tucher or paulaner are they. Maybe a bitburger
sly fox isn't exactly top tier.... while they are technically a craft brewery they are by no means a premium one. they opened in the mid 90s. around here we consider it a "budget" beer that's not from one of the mega corps (A-B, coors, etc). case price on them around here was still under $40 last i checked.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sly fox isn't exactly top tier.... while they are technically a craft brewery they are by no means a premium one. they opened in the mid 90s. around here we consider it a "budget" beer that's not from one of the mega corps (A-B, coors, etc). case price on them around here was still under $40 last i checked.
I'll keep an eye out. There's a green mountain lager that is very good, but $4 a can for advanced budweiser is wack

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
German pub around the corner offers a wide selection of nice Euro lagers. I need to take out a second mortgage if I want one.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
@Sandwich if you want good lagers, you have to spend the coin. But, we're lucky, Schilling has been brewing outstanding lagers recently and the distribution to MA has improved lately, too. I am drinking the Lena 10° and it is the closest to the real thing I've found in the US so far.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Molson!
I am a reformed craft beer fuckwitt, now I'm just a fuckwitt that likes cheap nondescript full strength beers*.

*And 8% ciders.

EDIT- I got Guatemalan beers cheap tonight and I'm a few in so I didn't really read the OP.

Last edited:

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
The pilsner that I've been drinking this year: Kasztelan Niepasteryzowane Świeże, which translates to 'Kasztelan Unpasteurized Fresh'.
Limited shelf life, but it disappears from the fridge within 7 days anyway :cheers:

1671708654888.png

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I wish we distributed our helles, because it's damn good. Sadly, it's only available at the brewery.

Coors Banquet is my go-to cheap beer. "But the corn syrups!" Relax, it's not high-fructose and it ferments out.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I wish we distributed our helles, because it's damn good. Sadly, it's only available at the brewery.

Coors Banquet is my go-to cheap beer. "But the corn syrups!" Relax, it's not high-fructose and it ferments out.
I haven't had coors in a time. I tried to go cheap but I had two cans of Budweiser sitting in my fridge for a couple of months. I ended up finding a 12 pack of Paulaner at the gucci grocery and that has been fitting the bill quite nicely.

Just to reiterate, I am not looking for the best Helles style lager...I just want something that doesn't taste like death (ie Budweiser) and doesn't cost a fortune. I'm thinking along the lines of Beck's or honestly this paulaner wasn't a horrible find. Radeberger gets pretty cheap as well, but I haven't looked for like a 12 pack of it. Things like that.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA

I wish you distributed your Dead Reckoning, that's still the best porter going, but I'm not driving to the brewery to buy it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
it's good stuff too. A little sweet for me, but I usually only need one or two before tapping out.
agreed, but it is a triple. that's the style, i brewed one once, tons of candy sugar goes into it. one of the few good belgium style beers produced in north america. i say inexpensive when i compare it to actual belgian ales (produced in the region) which usually start around $18/4pk

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
agreed, but it is a triple. that's the style, i brewed one once, tons of candy sugar goes into it. one of the few good belgium style beers produced in north america. i say inexpensive when i compare it to actual belgian ales (produced in the region) which usually start around $18/4pk
Delerium is my shiznit. Plus all the chouffes.