Quantcast

Recommend me a Cross tire

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'll be riding on roads and some off-road (light gravel, dirt/mud). Any versitile tires out there that aren't too expensive. I have a set of slicks already, so I'm looking for a good tire that won't slow me down too much on the road, but that I can also do some light trails on.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
If you are willing to give up dirt performance for better road efficiency, you might want to check out the Michelin Jet or the Panaracer Crossblaster.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
B-
i have a semi-slick 40c on my CX right now and can't touch the big ring. Almost all of the racers seem to run around a 32c tread.

Also, I've been running a 40c IRC Mythos and its been fine. Dirt riding on a CX is a whole other animal! Watch that big ring on the rocks!

edit: my frame can't go bigger then 40c. Be careful.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Is there a big difference between the 35 and 40c?
There can be; it depends on the make. Either way, 40s are big tires. There are lots of options out there, you just need to decide how much of a balance you want between on/off road capabilities.

I can't imagine that riding a 40c tire on the road would be much fun at all. For mixed riding, I think most 35s are plenty. Right now I run a Michelin Mud 2 on the front of my CX bike and that's about as big as I'd want to go and it's only a 30c (but a big 30). The Mud 2 is an excellent option for all around CX riding with mixed conditions. Michelin has some of the best rubber out there. You can find them for decent prices online.

I have also used Bontrager Jones, Hutchinson and Panaracer Crossblasters in similar conditions with good success. The Panaracers are narrow and lack a bit in the grip department (makes for exciting descents!), but they are fast and really light.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
how will these be offroad?
If I was buying them from Jenson, I would go with the 35s --Kevlar bead as opposed to steel(42). I've been riding 35 IRC cross country's, and they have been fine for road and rocky dirt roads (pea to golf ball size rocks -- I try to dodge anything bigger than that).