Quantcast

Recommend me a frame

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just throwing this out there: I'm looking to replace a large chameleon with a more specific street/dj frame. I used to ride bmx and freestyle but have been on 26" wheels for over 10 years. I'm about 6'1" or so. The chameleon is too long (front triangle and CS) and the headtube is too tall. I'll be running a pike 454 (110-140, usually at 110), and want a rear der. Steel is preferred, but it seems like a lot of the steel rides I'm seeing are single-speed only. DOC is a clear choice - what else can you suggest? It'll be used for urban ridiculousness, casing dirt jumps, beer runs, and general asshattery. I don't need something indestructable like an imperial or a jackal, I'm a hack but I'm not that rough on stuff and lighter is better. Thanks.

Larson TT y0!

Monkey
Jan 21, 2007
Maryland
How much you wanna spend? There are a lot of quality steel DJ/street bikes out there. Pretty much all the mtbs you see running single speed, could be geared. It's just a preference thing. You could get a custom built frame from Simple Bicycle Co at a reasonable price. That's what I ride and I'm about your size. Check it...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174062

How much was yours? Can you get them with 990 mounts and custom paint?

nmn25

Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
portland or co springs
A TOP or Double or Mob. I have a double and it rides like a dream. The TOP has the same geometry, so it should kick ass aswell. My friend has a mob and it is also sick. You couldn't go wrong with any of these.

For a real budget build, you could get a steelhead (they are also bombproof, and not super heavy, always a plus)

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Black Market Mob or Riot (or the yet to be released to the public "Silverback" if you want a larger frame...) with vertical dropouts. Rear derailleur hanger, short stays, quick handling (but a bit slacker with that pike at 110)

EricMcFlow

Monkey
Jul 9, 2005
Chicago
<blatent for sale post> Buy my 243sl </blatent fs post>

Aside from that, I have been very happy with the bike. I am 6'1" and run a 454 on it.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
dirty souf: look at your post count

You need to let that last:D

You don't need to be a hack to ride a jackal........spangler doesn't exactly beat up his bikes and that's what he rides.

There are so many good frames out there now. I'd see what the companies you can get cheaply offer first.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Good stuff here folks, thanks. I'm kinda set on a steel bike and have been looking at the TOP, black market, DOC, etc., just curious to get some random thoughts.

Oh and damn Cru, your ride is friggin' pimp! So clean, really sweet.

MC peepants

Monkey
Sep 20, 2006
i was comparing pictures from Cru's bike and boostingdoubles and there are some differences in both frames like the seat tube seems way shorter in Cru's bike it also comes looks like it comes with a seat clamp, is one an older style of the same frame or just custom of how each of you wanted it?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
i was comparing pictures from Cru's bike and boostingdoubles and there are some differences in both frames like the seat tube seems way shorter in Cru's bike it also comes looks like it comes with a seat clamp, is one an older style of the same frame or just custom of how each of you wanted it?
yo MC, mines about a year old, and a more standard version of oscar's '509' frame, built with horizontal dropouts. Cru's is a one-off custom frame built to his spec's. Oscar makes his '509' frame, but builds custom frames at the drop of a hat for whoever asks for one. The 07 '509' is abit different than mine though. It comes with a sick chainstay yolk thats new for 07'. 07 '509'