Quantcast

Recommend me a frame

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Looking for something to replace my old Blur 4X I used as a trail bike - going simple with this build. Looking for a rigid, non-suspension corrected, single-speed specific, steel 29er frame/fork combo. Something mid-level (no custom) and available in an 18-19" frame. I hate extra cable stops, and also don't like suspension-corrected forks.

I might get a Monocog just to tide me over until I figure something out, but thought I would look around anyways.

Any ideas of where to look? I know this is pretty specific but hey it's what I want.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Looking into it, seems a Raleigh XXIX might get me by too - any quick info on those? I'll do some searching as well...

Patches1

Chimp
Dec 27, 2009
Vassago Jaberwocky - rode a 4x for 4 years and have been riding a 29er SS for a little over a year now. Bought a Niner EMD and it was OK, sold it and bought the Jabberwocky, love it. Long and low, handles great.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I don't think anyone is doing a stock frameset with non suspension corrected forks. You could look for a new old stock Raleigh however. But caution - that non-suspension corrected fork is one stiff/harsh cookie.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm looking to keep it rigid, and the aesthetics of a suspension-corrected rigid for just don't do it for me. I have owned/ridden non-corrected 26" bikes so I know how the ride is. The Raleigh XXIX isn't corrected, I should look for one of those I guess.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
The only exception I can think of is the Ragley TD:1. But I expect a Vassago w/ an Odis fork is gonna be a less expensive (and perfectly satisfactory) alternative.
- Joe

I don't think anyone is doing a stock frameset with non suspension corrected forks. You could look for a new old stock Raleigh however. But caution - that non-suspension corrected fork is one stiff/harsh cookie.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I just got a GT Peace single speed. Really like it, and the medium is a little on the big side...

Oct 20, 2010
Just put a 26er suspension corrected fork on there. The bigger wheel will fill in all that empty space. I have a Pace RC31 26er fork that will fit a 29er wheel. Not for sale just example.